DAW Controller?

mikeeb

Whats the best RAP MIC??!
Whatsup guys.

I was wondering if there is a sort of DAW controller, that would act as a shell allowing me to ride the faders/pan/and use all the fun knobs that come with a console.

It is kind of annoying to have to do everything with the click of the mouse, rather than use actual faders.

I understand I could use a console but I do not want to throw down a lot of money for this thing, especially when I am not using any of the onboard eqs/pres/converters (I have my own GR mic pre, and Apogee Rosetta DAC.

This fits under mixing techniques because this controller would help me out with my mixing ! lol :p:D

(I am not really looking for a summing mixer, I do not want to alter the sound, just a controller!)

Hey, check out the korg nano series, does exactly what you are after and for cheap. :cool: If those faders dont throw enough then Behringer offer a unit I think.

Awesome, I will check it out! Any other ideas?

Thanks Fox.

I spoke with a CEO of a major studio in New York, and he was telling me how his console in his B studio was really there for just looks and knobs/faders.

He said all his gear was outboard and bypassed almost everything inside the actual console.

I found that interesting!

dont get the nano keys if you are going down this route...either try something like an oxygen 25 if you're on a budget or an akia lpk 25 if you want to keep the portability the nano series does

in just saw your preceding post..I have faders and assignable knobs on my keyboard controller and my drum pads...i never use them, whenever Ive set them up to do the "Im a real mixing engineer now" thing I end up just using the mouse :o

in just saw your preceding post..I have faders and assignable knobs on my keyboard controller and my drum pads...i never use them, whenever Ive set them up to do the "Im a real mixing engineer now" thing I end up just using the mouse :o

Haha damn. I guess I'll have to stick with being a pretend engineer :(

I JUST WANT TO RIDE THE KNOBS AND LOOK COOL IN FRONT OF MY FRIENDS!!!!:(:(:(:spank:

lol yeah...thing is I want more faders..ill never use them but your mixes improve just being in the same room as them lol

lol yeah...thing is I want more faders..ill never use them but your mixes improve just being in the same room as them lol

Hahaha exactly. You just feel more confidant. I might just draw a giant picture of a console on some oaktag and put it in my 1st reflection point. This way I can see it but its too far to touch, so i can't tell its not real!!

I like it. Plus Behringer is known for their great gear and lifelong quality!:rolleyes:

Hah i appreciate it Fox. I like the way that looks so it might be the winner

Yeah, its got motorized faders, if that doesnt make your friends jizz in their pants nothing will - for that price. :cool:

yeah man i've been looking at the mackie control universal...if only i had $1300...shit looks sweet though. and +1 for faders, you definitely feel and look like a badass behind them.

What about the PreSonus FaderPort or the M-Audio iControl? You might want to check those out.

I actually use something completely different. Since I started in the film editing world, I already had some equipment when I came into the audio world. One of those nice pieces of equipment happened to be a Contour Shuttle. It's a system-wide media interface. Depending on the model you get, it will have 5-15 buttons, a jog wheel, and a spring loaded wheel. You can program each button and each position of each wheel to do a certain command. For example, "button 1" might be "record" and "turn jog left" might be "rewind playhead." It works well for me since I don't really need a full controller and it's certainly a lot cheaper than a dedicated controller. You can also program it to be used with any application on your computer. When I edit movies I often use the jog wheel to go frame-by-frame so I can make just the right cut instead of guessing where the cut is or finding it with the arrow keys. It's probably not what you're looking for, but I'm just throwing it out there as an alternative suggestion.

What about the PreSonus FaderPort or the M-Audio iControl? You might want to check those out.

I actually use something completely different. Since I started in the film editing world, I already had some equipment when I came into the audio world. One of those nice pieces of equipment happened to be a Contour Shuttle. It's a system-wide media interface. Depending on the model you get, it will have 5-15 buttons, a jog wheel, and a spring loaded wheel. You can program each button and each position of each wheel to do a certain command. For example, "button 1" might be "record" and "turn jog left" might be "rewind playhead." It works well for me since I don't really need a full controller and it's certainly a lot cheaper than a dedicated controller. You can also program it to be used with any application on your computer. When I edit movies I often use the jog wheel to go frame-by-frame so I can make just the right cut instead of guessing where the cut is or finding it with the arrow keys. It's probably not what you're looking for, but I'm just throwing it out there as an alternative suggestion.

Wow man that's really cool! I like how it is not breaking the bank and can be used for pretty much everything. Thats really awesome and I will check it out. Thanks!!!!

Back