Dating SM-57s

PinkStrat

I just found this old crusty Shure SM-57 that was actually in the process of severe corrosion from humidity. The foam pad piece underneath the missing windscreen was turned to dust when I poked around in the top capsule. Apparently, the element is still okay-- expoxyed in as it was originally but this particular 57 sounds really AMAZING as is now! Everything is hunky dory there and the Switchraft XLR connector is still in good shape too, looks like it has next to no corrosion. I just took some label remover and took all the old duct tape off of the barrel and then took some OOOO steel wool and isopropyl alcohol and cleaned the outside body as best I could. It has dents and dings from probably thousands of gigs but this microphone sounds like a Stradivarious violin when used for guitar cabs. The best one I've ever heard in fact. Does anyone know how to date these 57s? Mine says "Unidyne III dynamic, Made in USA Shure Brothers Patented" I wonder just how old is this one? Looks really beat to me but it is better since I cleaned it off. Smooth again to the touch. Gotta find me another one of this vintage.

I think that the incredible sound that you get is because that SM-57 is from the era when Neumann made them for Sure. I MAY be wrong though..........

i prefer not to date people/things i work with...

With 57s this actually isn't as much of an issue. However, if there are too many 57s involved, signs of jealousy will appear. (unless you find a batch that are into that, in which case, it's all good)

And here's a word of warning:

While they don't mind 'agressive handling' you do have to be careful. I've seen their heads pop right off. Messy.............

-J

Intrigued by your comparison I borrowed a Stradivarius (well, that's what I told the cops) and placed it about 12 inches in front of my guitar cab, level with the middle of the speaker cone and angled 30° off centre.

Quite frankly it was a pretty disappointing experience :rolleyes:

Pink, congrats on finding an outstanding '57.

The SM57's and the 545 series can have variances in how they were made
in terms of design tolerances.

I have two 57's that sound excellent compared to most others.
One says "Unidyne III" on it, and the other is a "new" model without that.
Some old time engineers used to go through a bunch of them and mark them
"snare" or "guitar cab" depending if they sounded thicker or thinner.
John Lennon even had a favorite SM57 for vocals that was cracked(!),
and Madonna has one she used for the entire Erotica album.
Welcome to the club!

Chris

Hi chessparov,

Now I am wondering whether a Sennheiser MD 421 will sound good along together with my ancient SM-57? I tried one (an older U-5 model and the two were really quite similar EXCEPT the older 421 has a bit more low end). Any suggestions? I was thinking of mating it up with a 4047SV or perhaps one of those silver e609s from Musician's Friend for $99. What are your thoughts on the new MD421- IIs? How about any of the new Studio Projects mics? :)

The Sennheiser 421 MKII is brighter sounding than any of the previous
421's. I prefer the prior editions of the 421 as they are smoother for vocals.
One of the benefits of the 421 is that you can record vocal groups up to
a trio due to its wide cardiod pattern. Another one to try on instruments
and vocals is the Electro-Voice EV 635a.

As you get more used to the SM57 and 421 you'll begin to hear more of a
difference between them, although both are truly classic dynamic microphones.

An excellent vocal dynamic microphone is the Beyer Soundstar MKII,
also called the Beyer M400., which has a narrower pattern than a SM57.
It has smooth low's and mid's, with a crisp top, so it's a good complement
to the more "ragged" sound of the SM57.
(not a criticism, just an observation)

Most anyone who has seen lots of my posts will be aware I'm a big fan of
the Studio Projects line. The "C" series are more assertively voiced than
the more neutral "B" series. Both types of sound are useful in a studio,
and their customer service is second to none.

Chris

Hi chessparov,

I am generally using these mics for guitar cabinet mic'ing. I have an older 421 and I do hear a difference...it is a bit warmer and smoother. I wouldn't mind hearing more recommendations for electric guitar mic'ing. I have plenty of nice vocal mics hanging around (including the old 421 and SM-57). Thanks again!

BTW, my Stradivari violin analogy was purely based on what my Strat & LP Jr. sounded like after I heard it on the recorder--very very violin like and it has a great glissando tone when my fingers slid down the strings. This aspect of it was also another great sonic artifact.

The Electro-Voice EV 635a is also supposed to sound excellent on guitar
cabs. Keep in mind that I'm "only" a singer :).

Chris

Back