DAT woes

krs

Quick question, I'm a little stuck.

I rented a Fostex D5 DAT recorder to record an awesome ensemble tonight (the recording turned out great). I'm trying to dump the f*cker into PTLE 5.1.1 (stop laughing, it works and it's stable :)) via lightpipe, and the ADAT inputs aren't receiving anything. (I do have the hardware synced to optical). Just weird, never had this problem before, I'm inclined to think the optical out on the D5 is busted (but then again I'm probably just missing something). The Fostex manual is as useful as smoldering pile of dung.

I can always go analog into my Trak2, but I'd rather stay digital. What am I missing?

Thanks a million,

Kirk

I might be confused (it's been a really long day), but are you trying to feed an optical S/PDIF connection into an optical ADAT port?

Yes, I believe he is:D Just becasue the jack is an optical jack, does not mean that it is outputting ADAT optical. If your are sending s/pdif optical out of unit into an ADAT optical inout, it will not pass right. Try going into your soundcards preferences and setting your ADAT optical input to s/pdif optical input. Most any decent soundcard with an ADAT optical jack on it should offer this switching.

Ok thanks!

Problem is, I'm not sure how to enable this. In Preferences, Optical S/PDIF mirroring is greyed out (checked).

Hardware is a digi001. Never run into this before - thanks for the help.

K.

Sorry, but I don't have enough experience with the DIgi 001 to help you out there. You may want to call either Digidesign or the place where you bought it. They could probably tell you how to do this (if it can be done on a digi001) in 30 seconds:) Can you unselect any othere s/pdif related or digital related settings? By unselecting the right one, it may allow you to select the optical s/pdif mirroring option. You could also consult the manual, or download the PDF manual and do a serach in it for s/pdif:)

Got it off the digidesign Answerbase - thanks a million for putting me on the right track :)

Back