DAT + line in = problems ?

ustadjohnny

Hi,
We recorded our band's demo on a DAT and took it into the line-in port of my PC (Because it doesn't have an SPD IDF (Or whatever) port. I guess I need a better soundcard. But that apart, how is it going to affect the sound. I understand it's Digital to Analogue but if I burn these onto CDs they are converted back to Digital, right ? We're satisfied with the mix onthe DAT. If there's some loss or change, canthat be corrected by Soundforge or Wavelab ? How ?
Pls help a newbie in the world of PC and recording.

Depending on your sound card you may take a big hit or a not so big hit. Making a transfer like this you're going from digital to analog (the DAT) back to digital (into the computer). These two conversions can definatly impact the sound. How bad this is depends on the digital to analog/analog to digital converters in your sound card and your DAT. You can pick up a card that has S/PDIF inputs and outputs for not a lot of money and if you have a DAT and a computer it doesn't seem that extravigant.

Hi Track Rat,
I'm in India and here good soundcards are difficult to get as well as expensive. A DAT player I can hire but a sound card is a problem. We cheked the level during recording and made sure the paeks didn't cross -3 db Iguess I'll have to burn a CD and see how bad the situation is. But my question is, can the damege be corrected thru Wavelab or Soundforge ?

In soundforge 4.5 you can get a plug in that'll reduce hiss, also in CoolEditPro. You'll lose a little fidelity doing it that way but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Back