Dark Side of the Roger Waters

Well o course we had it tough. We used to have to get up outta shoebox, in middle of night, and lick the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked at mill for 24 hours for a penny a year, When we got home, our dad would slash it in two with bread-knife.

Right.. I used to get up in the morning at night at half-past-ten at night, half an hour before I went to bed, Eat a lump of freezing cold poison, work 28 hours a day at mill, and pay da mill owner to let us work there. And when I went home our dad used to murder us in cold blood, each night, and dance about on our graves, singing hallelujah.

Yah, you try an tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you...
LUXURY !!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 You had it good!!

Well o course we had it tough. We used to have to get up outta shoebox, in middle of night, and lick the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked at mill for 24 hours for a penny a year, When we got home, our dad would slash it in two with bread-knife.

Right.. I used to get up in the morning at night at half-past-ten at night, half an hour before I went to bed, Eat a lump of freezing cold poison, work 28 hours a day at mill, and pay da mill owner to let us work there. And when I went home our dad used to murder us in cold blood, each night, and dance about on our graves, singing hallelujah.

Yah, you try an tell the young people of today that, and they won't believe you...
Actually Rob in all seriousness the working class have come a long way since the 60's
Its the aspirational working class who have risen since then.
My grandfather was a miner and the working class either worked in the mines or the shipyards on Tyneside after the war.
My father and my uncle went into the drawing office as Apprentice draughtsmen in the early 60's to avoid the pits. They became aspirational and got training and qualifications.
I was born in 1965 and my mum and dads 1st rented house was a two up two down in a slum area with an outside bog.
I find the whole social history thing so interesting.
If you watch "The Likely Lads" and "Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads" it is such brilliant social commentary of how the working class has evolved and risen.

Bob has moved on to a nice house on a new estate with his snooty wife Thelma, aspirational white collar job and wears a suit for work. Joined the Badminton Club.

Terry has stayed exactly the same as he was.

Its brilliant comedy, but also brilliant social commentary about how the working class changed over this period of time... 🥰🥰🥰🥰

Actually Rob in all seriousness the working class have come a long way since the 60's
Its the aspirational working class who have risen since then.
My grandfather was a miner and the working class either worked in the mines or the shipyards on Tyneside after the war.
My father and my uncle went into the drawing office as Apprentice draughtsmen in the early 60's to avoid the pits. They became aspirational and got training and qualifications.
I was born in 1965 and my mum and dads 1st rented house was a two up two down in a slum area with an outside bog.
I find the whole social history thing so interesting.
If you watch "The Likely Lads" and "Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads" it is such brilliant social commentary of how the working class has evolved and risen.

Bob has moved on to a nice house on a new estate with his snooty wife Thelma, aspirational white collar job and wears a suit for work. Joined the Badminton Club.

Terry has stayed exactly the same as he was.

Its brilliant comedy, but also brilliant social commentary about how the working class changed over this period of time... 🥰🥰🥰🥰
Then you have also great works of social commentary like "Blackstuff". That was literary genius and great actors. But it was pretty dark, great pathos and comedy in places. Bernard Hill was so good in that.... A proud man who's wife left him because they had no money. He was desperate to find a job to care for his kids and had a breakdown. A stellar performance of desperation. I loved the scene where he nutted "SHAKE HANDS" and when he met Graham Souness in the pub.
But my favourite scene is where he meets the priest at confession xxx

Back