Dark Side of the Moon

Queue

I don't think I've listened to this CD before through my monitors. Is this an amazing piece of work? I'm floored at all that's going on.

Time -> Great Gig in the Sky Wow...

Queue

I've got the Moble Fidelity Sound Lab Original Master Recording CD of it. This CD was rated higher than the official remastered version that was put out a few years ago. The separation and clarity of sounds and instruments is stunning.

Since I gave up drugs Its even better. I regret Knowing I went to one of thier live shows and dont remember much of it.:(

Though I'm only 20, I love Floyd so much and have listened to every album hundreds of times but lately I'm kinda scared of their stuff. When it comes time for quality music listening I can't conjure up the courage to delve into that shit. Guess it may have run it's course, I hope not.

Laj

laj35

You should be scared at that stuff. The topics in their work usually deal with subjects other than "My baby loves me..." If you really want to be scared listen to Waters' solo stuff.

The quality of Floyd recording are very good and often used as benchmarks. The recording costs for The Wall was $600,000 in 1979 dollars. Probably well over a million in 2001 dollars. They would put huge amounts of work into getting it right. Like someone here said about traveling 1000's of miles to record drums in a certain room. Most of the 70s Floyd albums are good to try to learn something about recording, mixing, etc. (for me anyway, your results may vary)

Queue - I thought you were kidding when I read this post, but then I remember not everyone is as ancient as me.

I have been listening to Floyd since the beginning- with the original lineup with Syd Barrett - through the Roger Waters period - and beyond, and have recently re-bought most of their albums on CD (no please, don't start on about whether LPs are better - I an a music lover - I can listen to good music on any crap equipment and still enjoy it, so CDs are fine for me).

Wish you were here and DSOTM rate as my two favourite albums of all time. There is nothing, anywhere, on these two albums that I don't like and the quality of lyrics, music and arrangement blow me away every time.

I am eternally grateful that I have seen them in concert twice(darrin_h2000 that must have been very bad stuff to wipe out THAT experience) and I think it is fantastic that new people are discovering them all the time.

Mark

MarkST,
I've had the "Dark Side" LP for years, probably bought mine in the mid-late 70's, maybe a few years after it came out...
for that matter, I've had the CD for years too...

The revelation that was hitting me was mainly due to the fact that up until about 2-3 years ago, I was just listening to the music, as a whole, sometimes picking out some good solos and what not. Ever since I've begun to try to record and mix my own music, I've gained a completely new perspective on things. Add to that getting some REALLY nice monitors (JBL LSR25P) last January, and I'm shot up to another level of listening.

I'm certain I've listened to Dark Side up in the 1,000's. When I was in high school and college I used to do odd jobs doing interior and exterior painting, and I almost exclusively listened to Dark Side and Animals.

It is amazing that I am still hearing some things for the first time...

Queue

Can you imagine what DSOM would have sounded like in the original quadrophonic state that they wanted to release it in? Maybe there's a master of that somewhere that'll emerge for 5.1.

There is no master for that in 5.1 But - it will be remastered in 5.1 in the future.

They really do go to extremes for the recordings.

Example? A couple of tracks for the new album (yes, true, its in the making!) needed 'strings". So PF booked the London Symphony Orchestra. Not just that, they also booked the Royal Albert Hall in London and 2 mobiles.
However, a couple of things had to be done before they started tracking the LSO:
- The Albert Hall is round, it really doesn't sound all that brilliant, especially when its empty. So crews erected huge backdrop curtains throughout the whole building to get the acoustics right.
- To get the right feel, the band wanted to play live with the orchestra, but they didn't want the band and orchestra sounds to bleed, so a see-through acoustic screen was erected between the stage and the orchestra pit.

To make sure the above happend in-time and right, PF assembled most of the live sound crew, I think it totalled 127 people.

Three songs were recorded like that, with the orchestra tracks on a pair of 2" Studers. The bands live tracks were just recorded as a stem - to be scrapped because those sounds will be added in the studio.

Total costs......... I'll leave it to your imagination.

When will the record be ready? Count on a release towards the end of 94, beginning 95, accompanied by PF's last world tour, in full surround

sjoko, surely in a (recovering from surgery) pain killer haze typed: Count on a release towards the end of 94, beginning 95, accompanied by PF's last world tour, in full surround

Ok, cuz your post was not Y2k compliant, it is a little ambiguous...

Is that album coming out in -6 years or 93 years? :D

Queue (not sure if I can wait that long :rolleyes: or if I missed it :eek: )

darrin_h2000 said:
Since I gave up drugs Its even better. I regret Knowing I went to one of thier live shows and dont remember much of it.:(

I did it both ways for the sake of testing..

Sounds good both ways, folks.

;)

(Always glad to be the guinea pig...)

sjoko2 said:
There is no master for that in 5.1 But - it will be remastered in 5.1 in the future.

They really do go to extremes for the recordings.

Example? A couple of tracks for the new album (yes, true, its in the making!) needed 'strings". So PF booked the London Symphony Orchestra. Not just that, they also booked the Royal Albert Hall in London and 2 mobiles.
However, a couple of things had to be done before they started tracking the LSO:
- The Albert Hall is round, it really doesn't sound all that brilliant, especially when its empty. So crews erected huge backdrop curtains throughout the whole building to get the acoustics right.
- To get the right feel, the band wanted to play live with the orchestra, but they didn't want the band and orchestra sounds to bleed, so a see-through acoustic screen was erected between the stage and the orchestra pit.

To make sure the above happend in-time and right, PF assembled most of the live sound crew, I think it totalled 127 people.

Three songs were recorded like that, with the orchestra tracks on a pair of 2" Studers. The bands live tracks were just recorded as a stem - to be scrapped because those sounds will be added in the studio.

Total costs......... I'll leave it to your imagination.

When will the record be ready? Count on a release towards the end of 94, beginning 95, accompanied by PF's last world tour, in full surround

It's too bad that when Frank Zappa wanted to book the LSO to record his stuff, he had so much trouble with them. Probably because his music was a lot tougher to play, so they couldn't look at him as just another rock 'n' roll dumbass and look down their collective nose.

Whoopysnorp said:

It's too bad that when Frank Zappa wanted to book the LSO to record his stuff, he had so much trouble with them. Probably because his music was a lot tougher to play, so they couldn't look at him as just another rock 'n' roll dumbass and look down their collective nose.

Thats an amazing statement to make. I have recorded multiple "rock-and-orchestra" things dating back to the early '70's, mainly using what I, and many others, consider to be the top three orchestras to work with - Berlin, London and Boston. For "other than classical" work, speed of learning, accuracy, feel and sound the LSO is VERY difficult to beat. As a matter of fact, there is hardly anything I' would look forward to more than a session with the LSO, as for someone like me its as close as you can get to sheer perfection.
Zappa's music might have been out of the ordinairy for rock, very original and non-standard, but I can assure you that it wasn't "tough to play" for the LSO - come on!!
I have worked with Zappa in Europe during that time , as a matter of fact I am now working with the Mother's drummer at the time. I can assure you of one thing, no matter how brilliant, Zappa was no easy person the work with, he could be extremely arrogant and rude. If you upset an entire orchestra - what do you expect?
There is definately an other side to the story that is well documented - but only from Zappa's side.

Yes, I agree that FZ had an unfortunate penchant for arrogancy and being an asshole at times, but what the hey. His stuff does it for me. As far as the difficulty of his stuff for the LSO, I can't say for sure, because I've only ever heard the recordings with what may or may not be mistakes in them. Plus I'm not equipped to tell what's a mistake and what's not in stuff that complex. But according to the man himself, there are mistakes. And I don't think he's making up the story about how before the final half-hour or so of recording he had paid for, the trumpet section went across the street to a pub and got hammered, causing them to play the last piece for the album ('Strictly Genteel') very half-assed, and requiring FZ to make 40 edits within 7 minutes of music to make it sound presentable.

Like I said.......... that's one side of the story. I love Zappa but hey, there is a limit. I have no desire to talk bad about him whatever. Suffice to say, had I been in the orchestra that day, I would not have returned from the pub - period;)

Yeah it's that pesky kid chiming in again, sorry. Seeing that this page was started in reponse to Floyd's DS, and as I before mentioned my present inability to listen to Floyd lately, I was wondering what Zappa album you guys would most recomend along with which of Water's solo stuff is the best. I'd probably say that DS is my fav. Floyd album but Echoes is by far my favorite song. Oh and I don't know if any of you guys have listened to any of Radiohead's stuff but many compare them to Floyd, though I don't fully agree. They are pretty much my alltime fav and have a similar vibe (albeit a different generation, and hence different manifestation) to some of Floyd's stuff.

Laj

Roger's "Pro's and Cons of Hitch-hiking" is pretty good, has this guy named Eric Clapton playing lead.... :cool:

Radio KAOS is pretty good too

Then comes Amused to Death some other ex-Yardbird named Jeff Beck appears on "What God Wants"

Queue

Zappa: If you can spring for a 3-disc set, get Läther. It contains examples of about every kind of music he did, and it's a real album, not a compilation. Otherwise, I suggest One Size Fits All (sort of fusion-rock), Sheik Yerbouti (humorous rock), or You Are What You Is (socially critical rock). Unless you're looking for more jazzy material, in which case I would say Waka Jawaka or The Grand Wazoo. Or perhaps you'd prefer something more orchestral, in which case I'd tell you to get The Yellow Shark.

You see the predicament here?

Back