Dark Metal tips

tadmaz

I recorded a friend's band and here is a clip.

The bass drum is weak, we used a crappy dynamic, I'm aware of that major flaw. Otherwise, I'm just looking for some general tips/comments.

I'd say just about everything is pretty weak, not just the bass drum. If I'm not mistaken, that little click I hear every once in a while is the snare drum panned all the way to the right which is a pretty bad idea. The toms sound like cardboard. And the vocals and the guitars just sound like they were either mic'd with Nady Starpower's or just run through some really bad preamps.

I'd say the biggest improvement you could make is by using better equipment. If the source material doesn't sound good, there's not too much you can do to improve it, especially on a budget.

The preamps are pretty weak, yea. Behringer and Samson little mixers aren't the greatest. I'm gonna get a yamaha 6 mic input mixer pretty soon, that'll help, it has decent preamps. The mics for most stuff are worse than sm57, 58, etc, so that's a problem too. But for vocals I have an LDC through a VTB-1, so they should have been ok. Thanks for your comments. Mics and preamps, as I sortof thought are the biggest issue.

I already used behringer gear, and I can tell you, I got FAR FAR FAR better result. Look, get a few cheap mics if you are just doing this for fun like these :

Overhead : MXL 603s or octava mc012
Snare and guitar amp and maybe vox : SM57
Kick : ATM25, audix D6, akg d112, Shure beta 52, etc

With that you should get a useful sound, but geezzzzz, turn the gain down you are constantly clipping the signal, and that's the worst thing you can get in a recording like that! Also, try reading a bit more on micing technics, do some search on the forum, etc. People are very helpful here.

Well good attemp, but you gotta improove and you can do it easily.

Take care

The only thing that was clipping was the bass drum actually...
The dynamic mics I am using are all crap. (seriously, no name brand stuff) I need to get some sm57's, a kick drum mic, and probably two SDC overheads. The only good things I have going is vocals and a good soundcard (audiophile 2496).

I am sorry, but the vocals are clipping, maybe not at tracking, but at mixing that's for sure. If you are lazy, just apply anykind of limiter somewhere in your signal to get rid of the digital clipping you get when the guy screams.

Typically, in black metal (which you're recording), the vocals are placed farther back in the mix, and are almost bathed in reverb. Boosting the guitar at around 2.5khz should give it the 'bite' that's atypical of the genre.

That's probably how your friend would want it. Keep trying, and don't fret: black metal is the MOST forgiving style of music to record. BM is often renowed for gritty, low-fi production. It's actually perfectly acceptable to release a poorly produced, raw album--it defined the genre's sound. Listen to Bathory. Their production blows, and they sold thousands of records.

Last edited:
tenkas said:
I am sorry, but the vocals are clipping, maybe not at tracking, but at mixing that's for sure. If you are lazy, just apply anykind of limiter somewhere in your signal to get rid of the digital clipping you get when the guy screams.

No clipping on vocals at tracking or mixing. The singer inhales when he sings/whatever he is doing, and the precise-ness of an LDC is what you are mistaking for clipping.

tadmaz said:
The preamps are pretty weak, yea. Behringer and Samson little mixers aren't the greatest. I'm gonna get a yamaha 6 mic input mixer pretty soon, that'll help, it has decent preamps. The mics for most stuff are worse than sm57, 58, etc, so that's a problem too. But for vocals I have an LDC through a VTB-1, so they should have been ok. Thanks for your comments. Mics and preamps, as I sortof thought are the biggest issue.

id say screw the mixer and get a focusrite octepre or something decent.

It sounds to me like the singer is moaning and eating the mic instead of screaming which is what hes going for.

Wow thats a good time....:)

The singer is clipping like a mofo. Why is the snare on the left? Were are the drums for that matter? The guitar ummmm...............

I just told you the singer was clipping, why the hell do you keep your opinion as beeing the BEST ONE out there. You called for help, I tried, you don't accept it, makes me want to puke...

Back