Dare I mention Behringer?

mikemoritz

Ok, here's the dilemma....

Right now the way I'm recording drums is to have toms and overheads running through the same mixer.....unfortunately, this setup allows for very little flexibility after tracking. I have to EQ both toms and overhead at the same time, usually compromising some quality somewhere.

Thusly, I'm looking for a cheap mixer so I can run toms through it. I was looking at Behringer (even though I can't count the posts blasting it on this site), and for the money it seems like a decent alternative to what I'm doing now. Can anyone recommend a small mixer that would do the same as the behringer, or is this the best way to go for now?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike
The Behringer will do the job, but you'll very quickly wish you'd bought something better. I learn't the hard way! ;) I'd save a few more dollars and go for the Mackie 1202 or the Soundcraft M4.
Mark

before jumping on the proverbial band wagon, try the behringer, i have one and there is nothing at all wrong with it... perhaps q.c. has slipped up on a couple of occasions and a few guys got duds, but try one out before you immediatly discredit them i don't think they are all that bad

I have a behringer 1604 and 2004 and i havent had problems with either of them. They both work great for drums, but with the 1604 you have to use the busses. The 2004 has 8 direct outs, so that is what i would suggest for drums.

imho, its the behringer quality control, not the mixers at fault, and i have heard that behringer has noticed this and stepped up the q.c.

to use an over quoted term, the bang for buck factor supplied by behringer mixers is virtually undeniable, i a and b tested it with a soundcraft mixer, suer the pres were a little noisier when they were all turned up (but who the hell has all 8 pres turned to full gain), the beri faders felt smoother (panasonic alps), and the e.q. does the job well, but whats more is the beri was one third of the price.....

Mackies have direct outs for all the channels too.

I would ask anyone pushing behringer to post MP3's. There are many Mackie's in pro use but I rarely see pro's using B's for mixing.

If you can afford it save up for a mackie.

I have a behringer MX602A. I got it for $69. Its 6 channels and it does what I need for now. 3 band eq on each channel, 2 stereo tracks, s/pdif tape in/out. Low noise. No features. Im using 57's and 58's with it. I would rather have a Mackie, but I couldnt afford it.

But isnt that always the way? Until you have the need, you cant justify spending the money? My first guitar was a washburn mexicaster running through a 50 watt solid state Crate piece of crap. Now Ive got a PRS running theough a tube driven reverb rocket. I justified it after I knew how important the things I wanted were, and after I could play and knew what to look for in sound and features. Yeah I could have saved moeny buy buying a good guitar right of the bat, but learning on the bad was its own lesson in equipment and sound.

TexRoadkill said:
Mackies have direct outs for all the channels too.

I would ask anyone pushing behringer to post MP3's. There are many Mackie's in pro use but I rarely see pro's using B's for mixing.

If you can afford it save up for a mackie.

1. most behringer models have alt 3/4 outs giving you four direct outs, plus mikemoritz is looking for a small (im guessing 4-6 pres) mixer, so something like the beri mx1604a (4pres, 4 outs) would do the job.

2. yes pros rarely use them, but some do

3. and when you can afford a mackie save a little more for a soundcraft, and when you can afford a sound craft save more........... and the world will continue turning

mike, my suggestion is the mx1604a if all you are mixing is toms, it has four pres (if you can hear any execisive noise you might just be superman) and four direct outs, plus 2 aux send/returns, and an e.q. which gets the job done

Thanks all. I think I might take the risk and go behringer. I don't think I need super high quality pres for toms at least. For the amount they're used in my recordings, I think a behringer will do them better than I'm doing now. Plus, I would save to buy a mackie, but then just like you said, I'd be tempted to get a soundcraft, and then the next best minimixer. I really do know the downside with behringer, but for the money, it's what I need. So, thanks for all the help. I think I'll do against the norm once again.....last time I did it (Yamaha NS10s) it served me quite well.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

I agree with DR.C go the behringer.

The thing is if your running out of channels you would be much better off buying a bigger mixer instead of having two.

Buy it once ,of course then bring on the quality argument.

SOUNDCRAFT RULES!!!!

mikemoritz said:
Thanks all. I think I might take the risk and go behringer. I don't think I need super high quality pres for toms at least. For the amount they're used in my recordings, I think a behringer will do them better than I'm doing now. Plus, I would save to buy a mackie, but then just like you said, I'd be tempted to get a soundcraft, and then the next best minimixer. I really do know the downside with behringer, but for the money, it's what I need. So, thanks for all the help. I think I'll do against the norm once again.....last time I did it (Yamaha NS10s) it served me quite well.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

I GUARANTEE YOU, You'll Be SORRY!!! 1st off, Behrgrs pre's has no "pad lift" of not even 1 db! 2nd, the sweepable mids hover around 60-70 hz, similar to using the bottom end of the eq chart!
3rd, Behrgrs power transformes build up an excessive amount of heat with little or no areas for dissapation which in the long run means blow-out! 4th, the faders that are marked for "UNTITY GAIN" are slightly below (approx 5-6 dbs) than other boards!
5th, an audible hum will be noticed upon bussing to Alt's 3/4!
6th, the aux knobs will most certainly break off on the EQ and Aux pots after a lil more than a years normal use. 7th, when incorporating "phantom power" additional heat will build up in the power supply and if used incorrectly will detroy the circuitry in the whole board (where normally 48vPP is separated on your average board, the schematics indicate that this function runs in series with the power supply and potentiometers)
9th, the boards overall construction is poorly made and will most certainly breakdown after normal use!

Signed
A former and NEVER AGAIN Behringer(sucks)Mixer owner!

Peace
Mr.Q

And for further proof about the crappiness of Beh mixers,
go to the thread titled "Please Help Me" in the "RECORDING TECHNIQUES" forum!!

Back