Dang it..

traveen

Ok,
I've been recording my band using a cheap soundcard. I get decent sound but am getting sick of recording us live to two track as that's all the sound card can do. I am not complaining about he sound quality, just the inability to record more than two tracks at once.

I'm a hobbist, no upper end stuff will be bought. So how cheaply can I get into sound card that will record 4 tracks at once, on separate tracks? What else do I need?
I have a Soundcraft 20 channel mixer already..

Do I need something besides a different sound card?

Thanks for anyone willing to answer.

look at a delta multiple input soundcard.
search these forums. used by lots of people for recording to seperate tracks on the pc. search under my name, ive posted lots of tips in past year or so.

Dang it !!!

hi, how you doing

so you already have a 20 tracks input mixer
and you want to record more than 4 tracks
each track independant in the software you're using to record

What kind of output does you mixer have.

i guess a main out, a control room out, maybe alt 3-4, and ...

if you have as much input than output ( with the acctual mixer you have )
you should look at a pci soundcard with 8 in 8 out analog, spdif or adat
and digital connector.

if you don't, look for 8 in 8 out interface ( breakout box ), usb, firewire...

like that you gonna have each 8 tracks record on different tracks
in your software

but first what about your mixer

Well, I don't think you'll be able to use 2 stereo cards at the same time if that's what you're thinking. Although, it probably wouldn't cost you much to find out for sure. I'm sure I've seen threads here about it - I just don't remember the outcomes.

But if you go with a multi-track card, you'll be real glad you did. If you're not in a hurry, research the available models, make sure you know exactly which ones are suitable, and then watch for sweet deals on eBay, the classifieds, store bargains. They do come up. I got an 8-channel Aardvark - the store model - for $125. Back then I could never have justified shelling out $600 for a new one. But I could now, now that I know how nice it is to have 8.

My mixer has an insert for each channel, I think I can use that as an output for each uindividually.

Firewire, breakout box, all Greek to me. All I want to do is have the ability to record at least 4 tracks individually (separately) 8 would be even better.

Do they make sound cards with 8 inputs?

I should also add that I use no midi, and have no plans to.

And nothing else is needed besides one of those soundcards?

I still long for the days of tape recorders.. lol/ I hate gear.

Dang it.....

forget about it

INSERTS are not outputs

Inserts is for using a compressor or eq module
in interaction with you're mixer

Exemple you're recording a bend and the snare is too loud
because the drummer is .... in fire
the mic place up on the snare is conected in channel 8 of your mixer
the insert channel allows you to plug a compressor
so that you'll be able to add a 100% effect process of your signal
with the minimum connection.....

but first, what kind of output your mixer have

gimme each outputs by their name..

Well, inserts are not classic outputs, but they are outputs that have the ability to return too.

I am not at home, so I do not remember what types of "outputs" the mixer has off hand.. main, mix, tape out, and a few more I think.

So 1-

An interface ( just like a preamp but 8 in out ) with 4 or 8 in out connected with an output via a usb, firewire or pci card to the pc
with analog input TRS balanced and xlr connectors on this preamp

2-

a PCI card with 8 in out and 2 built in mic preamp

because, anyway, your mixer allows you to record to your PC only 2 tracks...

You're right Traveen, you can use your inserts as outputs (insert the cable to the first click); although check your mixer as many Soundcraft mixers have a direct out in addition to the insert jack on each channel. At any rate, a soundcard with the number of inputs you want (at least four) should get you what you want. You can use the preamps on your mixer so you won't need one with built-in pres; just get one with the number of balanced 1/4-in input channels you want. Breakout boxes are essentially the same thing, only they connect to your computer over Firewire or USB rather than slotted into the machine as a PCI card. The recent Sweetwater catalog had a four channel USB box I know--can't remember for sure who made it; but go online to some of the retailers and browse around for what's available. Other than the PCI card or breakout box; you'll need software to interface with it. It might be that the software you're currently using with your existing soundcard will be compatible with your new interface. If not, you might look into getting an interface that comes bundled with the software platform you want to work in.

Thanks Alex,,,

I have Soundforge, Cubase, Sonar and a few others to choose from, in actuality though, I usually end up using Audacity freeware for recording. It's fast simple and has some great editing tools that take zero learning curve.

However it only records two tracks at a time so I would probably go to Sonar as that has the ability to record more than one at a time I believe.

I have to learn about Firewire, I know zero about it, and my USB's are all used so I might have to install another..

I get the Sweetwater catalog, I'll look there and at BSW...

Thanks again for your response.

Alex,
My Soundcraft does not have individual outs for each channel that I know of, other than the inserts. But it does have 8 aux sends and 4 subgroups.. The subgroup outputs look like a good bet to control this. That way I can assign any of the channels I want to a group, and then record those groups separately ......if I got a 4 input sound card..

Soundcraft, so many buttons, so little time to learn them all!

Attachments

• th_Mixer[1].jpg
    th_Mixer[1].jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 23
Yep, that sounds like a good plan. Firewire is just another, slightly faster interface similar to USB. It uses different connectors and cables. If you have a desktop machine you can add a Firewire PCI card with a few ports to your computer for not much money.

Back