Danelectro U2 reissue

Flamin Lip

I got one of these reissues right when the came out 8? years ago. As for recording, it was a nice jangly alternative to my LPs and Teles, but it never worked well for lead or solo stuff. Alas, it has been relegated to its hanger for highly infrequent playing over the last few years.

Anyway............ I plugged her into a little Princeton Reverb last night and gave her some love. I think im back in like with the cheap little "nappy Ho". I am resolving to pull it down a bit more often and try to sneak it into some of my mixes.

Anyone else have one of these? Thoughts?

I have 5 Danelectro guitars,...

though it's only 3 models and 2 duplicates,... (DC-12, Innuendo, Innuendo-12).

I like those guitars a lot. They're really fine to look at and play. The lipstick pickups (DC-12) are kinda thin sounding, but that's fine. The Innuendo and Innuendo-12 have strat-type single coil pickups, and they're fine too.

My friend got the U3, back about Y2K. It's fine as things go. He's not the player that I am, though.

I'm sure you know that Danelectro discontinued all their guitars about 5 years ago, so the really mint ones are escalating in value on the Ebay circuit. However, I think it's a decent guitar to hold onto for it's own intrinsic value. If you have one, keep it,... is my advice.

The U2 reissue seemed like the lowest-end model that they produced at the time, but it looked like a decent guitar.

I regard my DC-12 & Innuendos as really fine instruments, though with up to 20 guitars at my disposal, they have lived most of their lives in hard cases in the closet. I also have some really fine Ibanez guitars that have seen lots of miles, but they too have been stationed in cases in the closet, while my $89 Squier Bullet is set out for daily use and/or thrashing, as the case may be.

My current philosophy is that you'd want to thrash the cheapest and easiest-to-replace guitar in your stable, so as not to really hurt or damage the irreplaceable ones, like Danelectros and Ibanez Roadstar II's.

I don't often hop on the Guitar Forum to talk guitars, but there you have it. Not advice, but just my 2¢. Thanx. Happy playing & good luck! :eek: ;)

I really like the lipstick pups. They really compliment a standard strat single coil or a humbucker. One of the tricks I like to do when recording is to use a different style pickup on each guitar - even when double tracking. It really adds dimension to the overall sound IMO.

Plus those danos have the aluminum nut that adds yet another dimension. I had a dc-3 years ago and really miss that thing. On my MIM strat I put a dano lipstick in the bridge position - and I'll never turn back!

I doubt your U2 will ever be your main go-to guitar, but never part with it! It'll give you a unique sound that will be just the thing you need to polish off your next big hit!

I have a 1960 (a real one) and it really is about the best playing one that I have- VERY difficult to get it to get properly repaired because one really has to know how to actually set up a guitar properly :)

and I got it pretty damn cheap at the time... love 'em

yup, the lipsticks are pretty interesting.... Another cool thing about these, are the acoustic properties. Back when I still thought that "more was more" regarding recording/track count, I used to double track w/ a SDC close miked on the strings and blend it in on mixdown. Kinda cool volume level too if yr sitting on the couch watchin TV..... its not to loud or soft(e.g. doesnt annoy the wife).

My friend,...

For many years now, I've sworn by the technique of putting a close-mic on the body of an electric guitar & blending it with the "inline" signal, for a much better track recording and lively ambience.

The only diff would be that I'm an "analog guy", so most of what I'd mix is done previously to recording the track, with both sources mixed and recorded down to one track. All for the better, though.

The problem with "DI" and "inline" guitar sounds, is that they sound notoriously dead. Adding a close-mic to the "inline" sound definitely livens up the sound of the track,... bringing out the snap and making it sound much more like a live guitar track. I swear by this technique. For all the things I do on occasion, and changing things up here and there, THIS is the technique that I ALWAYS use, ALL THE TIME!

Cheers!!

Dano's are great!
I have a Hodad and a DC12,I had a U2 but I traded it away thinking three Dano's was too many. :( I really regret that.

As mentioned before the aluminum nut and lipsticks give a Dano a different vibe,but the U2 also has a wood bridge,giving it an even more unique sound for an electric.Someone also mentioned the acoustic properties,it's a great guitar for just plunking on unplugged.

Great rhythm guitar,I believe it can be used for clean leads but there's virtually no sustain. :D

When the reissues came out you could get them for under $200.I have seen some at a music resale store for usually around $250,which I think is kinda high but if you're going to use it a lot not the worst you could do.

Another alternative are the Jerry Jones guitars,of which I've had a major woody for the Master Sitar for soooo long. :cool:

I'm as big Dano fan,they're cheap,fun to play and add a different color to your palette.Plus I love ugly mutts. :D

Just so you know

Dano's making them again.

I think it's just U2's and I can't remember the name of the other one (it's new)

Kind of a 50's-looking offset rectangular thing. Unfortunately, the new one (that I don't like as much) is the only one that comes in all the cool colors.

Back