Danelectro bridge problems

mrbellyache

I have one of the Danelectro U1 reissues. The problem i'm having is the 3rd and 4th strings are closer to the fretboard then the others and buzz like crazy. The bridge doesn't look adjustable. Any one have any ideas?

I'm not really familiar with that model but some things pop into mind. If the bridge has no adjustment on it, try making the adjustment at the nut. Also, depending on where you get the fret buzz, you may want to check the neck of the guitar, making sure the it does not have too much "bend". After any attempt at correction, make sure you adjust intonation.

I don't know the U1 specifically. but most of the other Danos have tiny allen set screw adjusters on the bridge. Small set screws that straddle the string. do you see em? if not then you are kind of stuck with a few poor options. I suppose you could shim the strings up a tad with the ol matchbook trick. beats replacing the bridge or nut. whats the top nut made out of on that model?

I have the same guitar with the same problem, I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. Sight down the edge of the bridge plate does it look like it is bowed in the middle? (mine is) anyway, apparently the downward pressure of the strings is bowing the bridge down in the middle, so that the curvature of the bridge is much flatter than the curvature(radius) of the fretboard. Only way to fix would be to dissassemble & try to flatten out the plate, but will it do it again?(probably). Dano must have used some really mild steel. I am looking into a permanent fix for this: possibly adding some extra metal under the brige for support. Some of the newer Danos have a beefier looking brige that has individual saddles adjustable for intonation(cool) but are not height adjustable(damn). Check these out, maybe you could get your dealer to order just the bridge assembly. It looks to be the same size, but I would measure it to be sure...

You can get this fixed for under fifty bucks. Filing the other nut grooves lower is the easiest thing, but because the nut is metal, you'll need to go to a an experienced repairperson. After matching the height of the grooves in the nut with each other, the whole nut can be raised or lowered for perfect action and no buzzing. Also, any decent guitar shop repair dude can replace the nut. I just had a bone nut made and installed for my acoustic and it cost only $50.

DANELECTRO BRIDGE PROBLEMS ALSO
I also have a Dano with the onepiece bridge with the rosewood on top. The entire bridge has become concave so much that the two ends of the bridge(where the thick E string and thin E string are) are bent about 1/8 of an inch higher than the middle part of the bridge.
I know it's a cheap axe, but I wouldn't have bought it if I knew the freeking bridge assembly was going to bend. I am going to e mail the company, but I know they don't sell replacement bridges, so I am going to need to get my money back, or have them pay to have a better replacement bridge from someone else installed.

Danelectro bridge bending problems.
For what it's worth, I sent an e mail to Danelectro explaining that the bridge on the guitar has bent up so much that the guitar won't intonate properly or play in tune. They asked me to prepay the postage and mail the guitar in to them. I don't know if I will get a new guitar with same type of bridge, a replacement bridge on my own guitar or what. I'll keep you posted just incase anyone else has had the same problems with their Danelectro bridge bending out of shape.

Good news! (I think) I emailed Dano at info@danelectro.com about this and they emailed me back in about 30 minutes stating they would send me a free replacement . This was at 9:30pm est... hows that for support!

[This message has been edited by TMedstein (edited 03-23-2000).]

Even better news! After Danelectro realized I lived in Canada(it took them a few days to figure out that Toronto is in Canada though...we won the freeking World Series two years in a row,isn't that enough!)....they told me that the Toronto distributor would e mail me. Because I had to take a day off work to take the Dano in to D'Addario, the cool dude there replaced my cheap bridge with one of the bridges that can be intonated for each string, put on new strings and intonated the thing for me. That's good service with the upgrade and the installation. Complaining in a business-like way will get you just about anything.
Super

Back