Damage Control Demonizer noise gate question

tigerotool

I recently purchased a Damage Contol Demonizer preamp pedal. It sounds great and is easy to use. It's quiet but I still need some kind of noise gate when I play with distortion. I was thinking about buying an isp decimator pedal. My set up is just Guitar (tokai prs with active EMG's, 81 bridge, 60 neck) -> Demonizer -> mixer -> studio monitors. I was wondering if a noise gate pedal will help my situation and if I should place the pedal before or after the Demonizer.

If its a hiss that's only present when the dist is on then a gate will work just fine. It'll just mute the signal when your not playing. You could try the gate before the preamp and that will achive the tightest gate effect as long as the noise isn't coming from the preamp by itself.

I guess I'm just going to have to buy the noise gate pedal and figure out where it'll sound best. It should solve my problem. According to damage control the guitar is louder than the preamp and the noise comes from the input. There's no noise when there's nothing plugged into the input of the demonizer or if the volume on the guitar is at zero. There is some noise if there's just a cable plugged into the input of the demonizer and I'm using monster rock cables.

I finally got the noise gate pedal yesterday. It goes better after the demonizer. It's still not as quiet as a podxt live but I've supposidly got the best noise gate money can buy. There still is noise if I place it before the demonizer. I guess the noise comes from the cables.

tigerotool said:
I finally got the noise gate pedal yesterday. It goes better after the demonizer. It's still not as quiet as a podxt live but I've supposidly got the best noise gate money can buy. There still is noise if I place it before the demonizer. I guess the noise comes from the cables.

The noise is probably coming from the gain stages of the Demonizer. Many FX units have inputs that short to ground when nothing is plugged into them; the fact that when you don't have anything plugged into it it's quiet doesn't necessarily mean that the cables are making the noise.

Back