Dafduc & The Idiot Collide

Village Idiot

The Love Butler
Had dafduc over here a few weeks back, and we hung out and did this tune I wrote.

This is my first collab with anyone here, and I really enjoyed doing it with daf, as he is such a monster talent and great guy who has become a personal friend to me. (awww...)

Anyway-It's called "29-cent Snap-On Smile"

dafduc on keyboards (of course!)
Idiot on everything else.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=1337&alid=-1

Any opinions, advice would be appreciated!

VI

Am I first? AM I FIRST?!?!?!!

Hot shit! I'm first! :)

Hmmmm?......................................... Song?.......................Oh yeah. Downloading.
Cool song........ However I think you went waayy overboard with the megaphone voice effect......actually causes so much sibilince (sp?) that I have a hard time understanding the words.
A very cool song though and nice playing.....it's mine forever.

BTW......first collab VI? I don't think so..........not my fault you never got back to me on those tracks I sent......hmmmmm.....maybe if I had run my sax thru a megaphone.....hmmmmmmmmm.... so if I just boost the 1k I could.......

You know, Lt...I was gonna go back and edit that point you brought up.

This is the first completed collab I have done around here.

The song you sent me the sax trax on was shelved due to my end of the deal, definitely not due to your KILLER sax work.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out & give your opinion on it. You have great ears for music, so I'm making a note of the sibilence problem.

Anyone else think I need to cut back on the "megaphone" vocals?
And how would I do that with out sacrificing that sound?

Here is a link to the hard to understand lyrics:

http://www.thestarlitecafe.com/poems/25/poem_106389.html

It's more fun to read these lyrics as you are listening anyway.
Adds to the whole stupidity of it all better.

VI

I was kidding ya' know.

and BTW......the lyrics look like black on black........I can't read them.......can't understand them........I bet you're talking about me aren't ya'........huh?......huh?

very cool song.. sounds classic...

the vocal effect is cool but it sounds very harsh to me.. it's so crispy compared to the music.. I had to lower it when the vocals started.. I think if you just find the offending e.q. frequency and lower it, it will make a huge difference to the vocals.. I have no idea what it is because I have similar problems, but it really stands out to me here.. cool song everywhere else..

sam (usually full of complaints and low on solutions)

VI,

I loved the track!

Very cool ragtime flavored number.

You really nailed the lo-fi sound well on the piano as well as the playing was very well done. kudos to dafduc!

The bass playing as well was flawless but perhaps a bit too full sounding compared to the rest of the mix. Maybe suck out a bit of 100hz to blend it better with the genre of the music?

The vocals were well sung and I heard all the lyrics quite clearly threw the megaphone effect which was a little out there in the mids. Cut that 2Khz back about 3 db and bring up the track a notch and that should fix it nicely.

The drums sounded right in the mix and I have no complaints there.

Snappy track and very refreshing to hear this kind of stuff in the clinic.

Cheers! :)

Last edited:
Cool song Idea

I would like to hear a normal vocal track thats just IMO though.
Overall good effort and I LOVE the retro styling.:D

VI,

Great tune!!

I can hear the lyrics just fine. My only suggestions would be to remove a bit of the high end of the megaphone and take the vocals down a tad in volume to blend in better with the rest of the mix.

Everything else sounds excellent! All the instruments interact really well in the context of the piece.

A job well done!!

Cy

The Ghost of FM said:
The bass playing as well was flawless but perhaps a bit too full sounding compared to the rest of the mix. Maybe suck out a bit of 100hz to blend it better with the genre of the music?

The vocals were well sung and I heard all the lyrics quite clearly threw the megaphone effect which was a little out there in the mids. Cut that 2Khz back about 3 db and bring up the track a notch and that should fix it nicely.

That is what I was looking for!!!!
Thanks for the "technical" assistance, Ghosty!
Having you around here in the Mp3 clinic has been invaluable.
You should moderate this joint.

BSabbath: I thought maybe when the vocals came in you would urinate on yourself...Almost worked, eh? :D
I've got to find that balance between keeping the megaphone effect and not sterilizing people with the mids shooting through the roof.

HevyD: Thank you for the kind words. And I am glad you are feeling better.

Cyrokk!!!: You are NOT dead...I just saw that thread, and wanted to slap Party-Pants silly for the title of it. My heart jumped, I swear...Would hate to lose one of my new favorite buddies.
But he's Party-Pants, and he's a cool guy..So whatcha gonna do? :D

Using words like "tad" and "bit" to describe how you would bring down the mids in the vocal shows me that I am not the only one suffering from hearing loss around here.
We did have cohesive conversations at the jamfest, didn't we? :D
Vox are definitely coming down in the re-mix.
Message received. Glad you dug it!

VI

Village Idiot said:
Using words like "tad" and "bit" to describe how you would bring down the mids in the vocal shows me that I am not the only one suffering from hearing loss around here.
We did have cohesive conversations at the jamfest, didn't we? :D
VI

lol.. sorry 'bout that.. when I listen to tunes I think of adjustments as I would make them on my mixer, which doesn't have khz or db readings.. thus I would make a slight cut on the knob that says "high" and bringing the channel fader down only about an eighth of an inch... sorta like cooks who use "a dash of this" and "a pinch of that" :D

Cy

Village Idiot said:
You are from Canada, and you spelled "flavoured" wrong.

Right?

:D
VI

I spelled it that way for the benefit of my American Brothers out there.

Kind of like color and colour;)

I PM'ed you about the Jamfest but your in-box was full. I can't make it due to a family obligation:(

We'll shoot for next year!

Nice feel on the drums and bass, Dougly. Kazoo was a great touch. I liked the vocs, but it would be fun if you did the Jolson / Rudy Vallee schtick.

Kazoo might be better as a response too, like two beats behind the vocal.

I would have liked to have heard the bass working with the same chords as the piano. Not that I wrote 'em down for you or anything - my bad.:(

Bad edit coming out of the piano solo about 1:46 - I know it wasn't like that when we tracked it (okay, I HOPE it wasn't like that - it was getting late and I was a little punchy...)

You write a great song, man. Kim loves Mr. Weisenheimer. She liked this one too.

Daf

Is that a piece of paper on a comb? :eek: :D

I got a smile from this one fellas....thanks....

These days I sure could use one of them there snap ons....

I would also like to hear the lo-fi megaphone vox used sparingly...it is very cool to start it off that way but, perhaps you could blend into a normal vox...like at the first time you say $.29 snap on smile...then when the paper and comb :D part starts you could throw it on again...until you get to the same line in the chorus.....

I like it fellas....good colab for sure...

Joe

Great piano work! I loved the idea and bought into the vocal delivery in a big way, great song.

Nice solo! :)

This is a great song. Loved the kazoo too! Good length. Great words! Great vibe! The kazoo, vocs, and keyboards seem to be in totally different spaces,kind of weird!~ Really nice idea.

VI glad you found someone to collab with right off, but don't forget about me. Pencil me in.

This is soo cool. Laid back and cool. This song reminds me of something I could hear Tom Waits doing. I love Tom Waits!

I'm gonna let Dougie field the comments, but re: piano stuff---

Used a Kurz SP-88, tack piano patch. Accomp and solo on separate tracks, but with same settings (each needed about 5 takes). What's a Floyd Cramer solo doing in a vaudeville tune? I dunno, it's just what came out...:D

Daf

Daffy and the Idiot. Quite a combination.

Killer lyrics. You know I like this lyrical style. Simply a fun song to listen to.

I liked the 1940's radio sound. Fit the style of the song. The bass tone was nice for the song - somewhat of an upright bass sound.

Piano has a little "roomy" sound. Not sure I like that. I loved the part though. Kind of a "bawdy" sound that fit well.

I don't think the kazoo was working. It's doing the exact melody line in the same octave. So it just comes across as distortion. If you absolutely have to have a kazoo, I'd have it doing a variant line through that section.

Little vocal crackle at about 1:12. Some timing problem around 1:46. The vocal delivery on the first couple of lines weren't as solid as the rest of the song. If you can punch in a better performance, it might be worth the effort.

Cool song. I loved it.

Doug, yer mailbox is still full!:(

So here are the changes, best of my memory - hope I got 'em all:
Code:
Intro:

| F6   %    | %        %   | %   %    | C13                             ||

Verse 1:

| F6   F6/C | F6       C13 | F6  F6/A | Cm9              G7/B            |
| F6/C F6/A | Bbm-maj7 C11 | F   Bb/F | F/C              Bb/C           ||

Verse (before Chorus):

| F6   F6/C | F6       C13 | F6  F6/A | Cm9              G7/B            |
| F6/C F6/A | Bbm-maj7 C11 | F   F/A  ||