DADGAD Tuning

I used DADF#AD (also known as "open D") on my latest song. Open tunings are fun to play with. It allows room for more open strings and it really resonates well and gives a nice sound.

Here is one I use for slide sometimes, D,A,D,F,A,D it has a distinct minor sound for a nice blusey effect. To change it to a major, simply tune the F up to F#. Another fun tuning is D,G,D,G,B,D which is a fairly common tuning used mostly for dobro. Alternate tunings can be easily figured out, just figure the notes of any chord then tune to those notes. Use the same tuning on almost any two adjacent strings to get some interesting drone effects. Although I normally use a standard tuning, I do have fun playing around with alternate tunings, the effect(s) work on some songs but not on others. Experiment and have fun.

I keep my Taylor 512 in DADGAD. The englemann/mahogany combo really comes alive in this tuning. If you want to hear some nice DADGAD stuff, check out Richard Shindell. He's a singer/songwriter who does alot of nice DADGAD stuff to compliment his amazing songwriting.

I've written a few songs in DADGAD; "Fallen Leaves" on my Sounds page is in DADGAD (and recorded with my 512)

Hey Evan,

Really enjoyed your website. Your guitar sounds great. What guitars are you most happy with?

rpe

I forgot to mention that I got 3 instructional (DADGAD) DVD's for Christmas:

Lawrence Juber
Al Petteway
Variety of celtic-playing guitarists

The playing level includes intermediate to difficult but they're fun and provide's another method of learning.

Thanks for listening! Not sure if you checked out my guitar page - http://www.evangordon.com/guitars.php (I really need better pictures!)

I'm really loving my Santa Cruz OM/PW, but in all honesty, I love them all. They are all pretty different, in body shapes/sizes, wood types, bracing, etc...

I have tuned my OM/PW to DADGAD and it turned into a tone monster. I wish I could buy another to keep in DADGAD!

My Martin D16H LOVES drop-D tuning.

I recently played a Santa Cruz Baritone which made me weep! Unfortunately, the price tag made me weep as well ($4K!!)

rpe said:
Hey Evan,

Really enjoyed your website. Your guitar sounds great. What guitars are you most happy with?

rpe

rpe said:
I think I remember someone advertizing a capo that allowed you to go to DADGAD instantly. Have you heard of this?
Well, I haven't heard of that one, and I'm not entirely sure that it could work. I made my cut capo for EBEABE, but it only works because you are effectively tuning a few strings UP. You couldn't really use a capo for a tuning that would be tuning any strings down.

Evan.................

I hate to ask you this (because it's so subjective) but between the Larrivee, the Santa Cruz and the Taylor 512, which one do you consider the best for fingerstyle and for home recording? I play mostly ballads, hymns, and now celtic-type slow songs. I'm searching for a new guitar in the $2-3K range, OM or OOO, wide neck, that is very balanced between bass, mid & treb. I've played many Martin 000-28EC's and thought that was the guitar for me but there are so many choices out there (including the ones you have) that it gets overwhelming.

thanks,

rpe

Last edited:
sile2001 said:
You couldn't really use a capo for a tuning that would be tuning any strings down.

Unless you put the capo on the other side of the nut...............

:p

(I'll go back to work now)

jfrog said:
Unless you put the capo on the other side of the nut...............

:p

(I'll go back to work now)

Using the word "capo" anywhere near the word "nut" just makes me cringe... :(

rpe said:
I think I remember someone advertizing a capo that allowed you to go to DADGAD instantly. Have you heard of this?

Shubb makes a partial capo that will give you EBEABE, DADGAD up a step. It sounds and feels different, for sure. The Third Hand does that too, but I could never get one of those to work right.

rpe said:
I hate to ask you this (because it's so subjective) but between the Larrivee, the Santa Cruz and the Taylor 512, which one do you consider the best for fingerstyle and for home recording? I play mostly ballads, hymns, and now celtic-type slow songs. I'm searching for a new guitar in the $2-3K range, OM or OOO, wide neck, that is very balanced between bass, mid & treb. I've played many Martin 000-28EC's and thought that was the guitar for me but there are so many choices out there (including the ones you have) that it gets overwhelming.

thanks,

rpe

For that type stuff try a Lowden if you get the chance. Really nice guitars. I don't know if they make that body style, but man they sound sweet.

easychair said:
Shubb makes a partial capo that will give you EBEABE, DADGAD up a step. It sounds and feels different, for sure. The Third Hand does that too, but I could never get one of those to work right.

The thing about the partial capos or third hand is that you don't get the advantage of the new and wierd fingerings. Well, maybe with some open chords, but not barre chords. If you playing up the neck, the chord forms are gonna be the same as standard tuning, unless you alter them to allow an open string to drone through.

andyhix said:
The thing about the partial capos or third hand is that you don't get the advantage of the new and wierd fingerings. Well, maybe with some open chords, but not barre chords. If you playing up the neck, the chord forms are gonna be the same as standard tuning, unless you alter them to allow an open string to drone through.

Good points. It's been a long time since I used one of those things, I kind of forgot all that.

Thanks for the info on the capos. I guess I shouldn't be so lazy and just tune the thing each time!

easychair said:
Yeah, I've seen those, but at the time they cost more than twice what a plain old Kyser cost. So I just got a Kyser and took a hack saw and X-acto knife to it :)

It's one of the only tunings I ever use anymore. I love the openness feel and the harp like effect you can produce by playing arpeges. Playing open strings while also playing fretted ones, you can get a different feel than with just a regular tuning.

I found it very enlightening when I got in a rut playing a normal tuning and never went back. Don't think I can even remember how to play the stuff I came up with before. Of course, that could be from age too. :(

Christopher.............

That's a great website you have and exceptional playing. I can only aspire to play like that!!

rpe

He, he, he. Thanks RPE. But to tell you the truth, I was'nt really looking for a reviews of my stuff. But it's always welcome.

Just thought you had a interesting thread going here with my favorite tuning. Though I do use DADF#AD for slide guitar. Don't really use any other tuning any more. Heck, I've even been writing some rock songs with DADGAD lately. I've come to the conclusion that it is really quite a versatile tuning. Even doing some Al Di Meola kind of stuff with it too. Now that's fun. :D

Back