DADGAD tune

i posted something else i recorded of a buddy of mine a few months back ... thought i'd ask something about this one from the same session.

originally i was unable to get seperate tracks for the vox and guitar (busted equipment - long story short i had to have them on the same input and couldn't mix in post)

but now i'm recording some stuff with him with better working equipment .. but i'm running into a bit of problem that shows itself in this track:

i'm happy with my guitar sounds. BUT the way he sings he goes up and down soft & light - which is one thing, but when he goes LOUD with his singing, its like he hits the frequency that .. idunno ... swells up to big or something. i'm running into it with recording other things with him.

what do i need to do? just simply mess with some compression in post, or is it something i should address in the signal chain (i.e. outboard compressor or something)

advice/feedback appreciated

the song

Last edited:
Did you record the guitar with a mic, or just go direct line in? I'm guessing Direct-in, just because it sounds alot better than the Vox.

Have the singer get closer to the microphone. Then use some EQ and Hard Limiting to get it how you want it. The EQ will take off some of the high buzz, and the hard limiting will get the hard/soft thing under control. You can post the vocal track online if you want and I could take a stab at it. I'm in college right now -- AWAY from my instruments! I've still got the mixing software on my computer though, I'm itching to mix whatever I can!

i posted something else i recorded of a buddy of mine a few months back ... thought i'd ask something about this one from the same session.

originally i was unable to get seperate tracks for the vox and guitar (busted equipment - long story short i had to have them on the same input and couldn't mix in post)

but now i'm recording some stuff with him with better working equipment .. but i'm running into a bit of problem that shows itself in this track:

i'm happy with my guitar sounds. BUT the way he sings he goes up and down soft & light - which is one thing, but when he goes LOUD with his singing, its like he hits the frequency that .. idunno ... swells up to big or something. i'm running into it with recording other things with him.

what do i need to do? just simply mess with some compression in post, or is it something i should address in the signal chain (i.e. outboard compressor or something)

advice/feedback appreciated

the song

You can always use compression, especially on something like this, but really you should get him to sing more consistently. Let him listen to this and show him how his voice falls in and out. Dynamics are good, but he needs to do better than this if yall want it to sound better.

Did you record the guitar with a mic, or just go direct line in? I'm guessing Direct-in, just because it sounds alot better than the Vox.

actually, the guitar track is a RODE NT5 on about the 15th fret of the acoustic.

the vocal track is my crappy MXL 990.

but .. like i said ... at the time my equipment was broken so i had no multitracking capabilites, so the VOX and guitar are on the same track - no seperate tracks. I just didn't know what to do to get his dynamics under control now that i CAN multitrack again.

this was a live take to one singular track

Back