DA-38 signal loss

ginridge

A friend has an essentially new (2.41 hrs) DA-38. He was able to record with it using a Universal Audio 610 solo pre-amp connected via a cannon connector to multi-pin snake. It was working fine, but after unplugging Channel 4 from the back of the 610 and replacing it with Channel 5 of the snake, the machine shows very distorted, very low level. This is consistent with all the channels he has tried (4 of them). He also tried using a Yamaha board (1/4 " to RCA connector) and gets the same results.

Any thoughts on what's going on? Any chance he burned out something in the process?

Thanks!

It's possible that the machine just took a crap on you. Even if it doesn't have any hours on it, it still.has to be at least 10 years old. I'm surprised it didn't eat the tape too.

There is no.setting that could have been hit that would cause that. Unfortunately, it isn't worth fixing. They are worth about $50 on ebay in perfect working order.

Actually, I talked with a friend of mine who is a gear head and he suggested opening up the machine and disconnecting and reconnecting all the plug in circuits and cable connectors. Low and behold it works again! Possibly age caused minor oxidation on some contact...maybe just ghosts in the machine!

Back