D2424 vs. D2424LV

WayStar

Hi, all!

I need to know what the real differences are between the D2424 and the D2424LV. I'm assuming that the LV has fewer features, but that might work for my purposes. It all depends on what those differences happen to be.

I don't need much by way of mixing capabilities, since most of what I do is on a DAW. What we use a mulitrack for is production and playback in a planetarium. We run 2 or 3 tracks of audio and a separate track with timecode going to our automation system. Yeah, I know that 24 tracks is overkill, but it's not like the 8 track version is available anymore.

Our budget is limited (whose isn't?), and I'd prefer to get two units, one for theater playback and one for production (and as a backup for the playback unit).

Thanks,
WayStar

I'd like to know, too: Fostex is severely screwing up the marketing on that unit, because of all their web sites, not one talks about the *differences* between the full D2424 and the LV.

The LV is clearly a marketing ploy to counter the Alesis unit. The full-on 2424 originally came with 8 channels of 24/96 A/D, 24 channels of D/A (all balanced), the Hammerfall card, and the C-MEXX coftware package for machine control.

The LV has 24 channels of A/D and D/A, balanced, 24/96 capable (although probably with a reduced track dount at 24/96, due to disk bandwidth limitations) . So how is it that this unit is _cheaper_ than the original D2424? They leave out the Hammerfall, but that's not *that* big a cost swing...

The best information I've found on that unit is on the Fostex international web site, in the "what's new" area. The US website has no information at all- at least the international site has a few more specs.

http://www.fostex.co.jp/int/pages/sets/newset.htm

It's interesting to see that they no longer list the full D2424 there. Hmmm. Perhaps Fostex is just locked in a price struggle here, and has had to readjust their product mix to counter the Alesis introduction. That probably caught them with their pants well and truly down...

Hope that helps. The units look very interesting, and they are now talking about an add-in Ethernet interface in the future. If they are half as good as my D1624 has been, they'll be very good indeed. I may have to look at upgrading one day!

IM not sure if I remember it correctly, but I do remember talking to my wife about the D2424LV being a better machine at a lesser cost. I think the D2424LV doesn't drop track numbers with increased resolution. Im pretty sure it comes with the Hammerfall card as well as all the bells and whistles.
Its definitely a oops on Fostex part, because the D2424 had a higher price and all these dealers still have to sell them with a profit. I compared the description of the D2424LV from Fullcompass.com and the latest AmericanMusical.com catalogs and the newer one "looks" like a better machine. I also read a thread somewhere here about dicontinued supt for the D2424 machines... We will see when it all comes out in the wash though. Hope this helps somewhat.

Peace,
Dennis

I'm interested in buying a 24 track recorder. Has anyone here used the 2424LV. It's a bit less expensive than the Alesis HD24 but not that much. Has anyone used both the Alesis and the 2424LV? I don't know which one to choose...

/fim

Hi,

Does anyone know where the "insert" option found in so many traditional multitrack recorders is,
in the d2424 up to mkII ? or is it named differently ?

inserting is puting copied measures at a certain point while pushing forward the already recorded
data, and not pasting "over"..

& also, which version is the most complete ?
d2424lv ?
d2424lv mkII ?

Back