d.i.y subwoofer tuning.

zook250

i have been given 4 cerwin vega 188EB 18" speakers and i am planning to build some enclosures for them. i have the thiele-small parameters.so as far as dimensions go , i think i have it covered. i have a few options for porting that range from 45Hz to 55Hz. if i tune the cabs to 45Hz will that be sufficient for a good kick and bass type live P.A cabinet? i have contacted Cerwin Vega and they were very helpfull , although they do not have much info on drivers from before the sale in 03'

sny insights intocabinet tuning would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

it is a big port for sure. 80 sq. inches with a depth of 13 1/4 inches , this tunes the cabinet for 45Hz. the port turns out to be 24 1/2 "wide x 3 1/4" high. this is what i got from cerwin vega
thanks for the info.

Great drivers! Sold a pair of CV 18s on ebay last year that I used with my band in the past.

Built two single driver cabinets for them back in 1989 that were 24"x24"x30" if I recall correctly. I too ran the TS parms and got a big port volume. Tried plugging in different tube lengths and ended up just using three 3-inch holes in the front baffle at the bottom of the cabinet. Sounded the best to me of all the options I had tried.

Cabinets were made from 5/8" ply with 2x4 truss bracing inside. Added yellow fiberglass batting to the interior. Coated the exterior with epoxy and fiberglass mat, then paint. Really solid cabinets, and not too heavy!

I'd certainly give the TS calculations a go, but be prepared to play around to see what sounds best. Given their age, most of these CV drivers have been reconed and the original TS parms may no longer apply.

Good luck!

thanks for the info. i have noticed that these drivers have a ws2010 number stamped on the cone, i am assuming that they have been reconed as well. i am going to build a test cabinet in the next few days with and try a few different port depths .

Back