Cynic cover - "Veil of Maya"

I'm not familiar with the band or the song--so factor that into my comments.

A tribute album, huh? Without knowing the original, I'd say you paid tribute in a big way. The simplest way I can put it is this: I would never guess this is "home recorded" or whatever term you want to insert there. I'd assume nothing short of a big budget commercial release. (For some purists, that's become an insult; for me, it's a compliment.)

Completely top notch. The playing, the tracking, the mixing--it's all there. I'm looking for a nit, and I can't find one. It just completely "big-time."

Excellent work!

I'll start by saying...
"never 'eard of 'em or it!" & then proceed
Where did you record this?
The only thing lacking to my ears is some bass volume and definition in the raucous parts.
Terrific playing & recording.

I have their Cd, nice work covering them.

I a had a friend who I have not seen in years who was a big Cynic fan, he did his own music of that style. I have several tunes I recorded for him. I'll have to post a tune.

well, you knew i was gonna pop in for this one!

nice job, way to keep it pure! that dfh programming must've been frigging tedious! everything sounds pretty dead-on to me.

the only nit i have is the vocal volume. i'm listening on computer speakers and the vox are way buried. performance-wise, you nailed it.

Really pretty amazing.

I have no clue about the source material, but this is pretty complex. There were a lot more mellow parts than I expected. Bass sounds very fluid. I'm listening on phones right now and to me the vocals seem low in the mix, but again, I have no frame of reference for this whatsoever. Really tight performance and a fine recording.

Sounds pretty awesome, except for the lack of bass guitar presence. Love the drum programming. I wish I could play like that. Great job overall.

Sounds pretty awesome, except for the lack of bass guitar presence. Love the drum programming. I wish I could play like that. Great job overall.

Thanks Greg. You think it needs more "presence" as in more high end or just mroe volume overall? It's a fretless bass and I wanted it to stay really smooth sounding. I don't think I would like it if it poked out much more than it does. I might turn it up a little though.

Thanks Greg. You think it needs more "presence" as in more high end or just mroe volume overall? It's a fretless bass and I wanted it to stay really smooth sounding. I don't think I would like it if it poked out much more than it does. I might turn it up a little though.

I mean more volume overall. I agree that you don't want it to take over, but there's several spots that sound kind of empty because there's very little bass guitar holding it down. The rest is fantastic.

This is great stuff, man! :)
Don't know the original either, but this is beautifully played . I'm with Greg on the bass, the mix needs that fat hit-you-in-the-stomach-grunting bass. That would make it perfect and above any home-recording standards. Well done, any chance of hearing more? I'd like to know a bit about your recording methods too.

Cheers
Joe :):):):)

Dude, that's some playing. The drums sounds really good. The playing is very tight. Don't know the original. But this sounds intricate and complex. All those jazz and blues touches are very nice.

How do you do the drums?

Thanks fellas.

Drums are programmed in Drumkit From Hell Superior, with a shitload of post processing.
The dirty guitars are all PODxt. I almost hate to admit that. I used to loath modeling until I got too lazy to mess with mic'ing amps about a year ago.
The clean guitar and bass are DI'd and the vocals are SM58 into a Brent Averil 312a.

Back