Cymbal recommendations?

Oh and if this will be your studio kit, you might want to have a variety of cymbals. I don't know what kind of clients you get. Most serious drummers will at least have their own cymbals and snare, but if you find yourself with a drummer who has nothing you might want to consider getting a china and splash too. I'm not a huge china fan but from what I can tell, it's pretty common these days.

well the issue sort of arose when I was recording a solo acoustic artist and he decided he wanted to do a full production song, drums, bass, etc. I laid down bass and backing guitar tracks for him but (and of course i knew how it was going to turn out) i got to the drums and every time I hit any of my cymbals they just sounded so harsh it was literally a pain in my ears lol I had never recorded that set before. So I ended up getting one of my drummer friends to come in and lay down a track.

I would hope most metal and rock acts would have drummers with their own stuff but you never know.

So after that, I have just thought I would go a head and start to slowly piece together a proper setup, just so when circumstances such as that come up, I don't have to call in somebody to let me borrow their stuff or use them to track, he didn't want me playing his set lol

I was definitely thinking of getting a variety, eventually, especially if I can find some used. Just so I will have options.

If this is strictly for the studio then variety will help a lot. Cymbal weights are going to be important as you're going to want cymbals that sound nice and then get the hell out of the way. So fast decays for crashes and a lighter ride with a nice bell will help cut down on the bleed through. You get one of those heavy rides and while it sounds great, when you stop playing it it keeps going for three or four more measures. Hard to edit and mix. Craigslist is a good way to try before you buy and cymbals can be had in many different sizes, brands, weights etc. No cymbal collection is complete without a nice cheap trashy sounding thin crash or splash. Usually the cheaper the better.

Back