cutting vocals out of song

Modus

Zaireeka!
My buddy asked if I could cut the vocals out of an elton john song for him so that he can sing it to his soon to be wife (dont ask) Anyway, ive never attempted to do this and I was wondering if anybody would know a way to go about this.
I read somewhere a long time ago that you could come close with some songs (maybe older songs), but I don't remeber what I read.
I realize that it might not be possible to do this, but can I come close?
Is there a plugin that would be helpfull?

Thanks,
Modus

There have been posts about this before. There are some plug-ing's that claim they can do it, and you might be able to remove a bit of the vocals with cleaver EQ, however you will lose a lot of the other instruments.

Just a suggestion.. have you tried finding a decent MIDI file of the song.... you can usually get a decent result from one.

Porter

1st - look on kazaa for the song "no vocals" or something. alot of times it may be there.
2nd - if that doesnt work, you can always try a plugin, it can't hurt to try it. ha. i forget what it's called....vocal remover ( just do a search on yahoo for vocal remember plugin or something like that).
i'm thinking it may be analog x vocal remover or something. whatver it is, i remember it is/was free.

A plug-in might remove the vocal but probably not any effects on the vocal like reverb, etc. Best thing to do is get a karaoke CD with the song on it. Go to http://www.karaoke.com/ and search for either the song or Elton John. There's about 500 there on Elton John. We used these people a couple of years back when we were doing the Karaoke thing (oh the shame). I've still got a couple of thousand $$ worth of these CDs and use them for people wanting to put their vocals to background tracks.

DD

I use Cakewalk Sonar, so this response is Sonar-centric.

Take the tune in question and put it into your recording software.

Split the stereo recording into mono left and right channels.

flip the phase on the right channel.

when you press play, the lead vocal (if it was mixed right down the middle) should be gone, because the reverse-phase wave on the right should cancel out the left.

Thanks crosstudio!
I'm pretty sure thats what I read a while back. If that doesn't work, I'll take all into consideration, none the less, a very usefull thing to know.

Thanks guys.
Modus

the only thing with doing the phase trick is the reverb will definitly still be there good luck filtering that out

Sorry for the waste of time scottboyher, I wasn't having any luck with the search.
I know this has been covered before and I realize that I can't cut it all out, you know im not looking for a miracle cure here, crosstudio covered it pretty well.

Sorry to ruin your day like that :rolleyes:
Modus

Modus said:
Sorry for the waste of time scottboyher, I wasn't having any luck with the search.
I know this has been covered before and I realize that I can't cut it all out, you know im not looking for a miracle cure here, crosstudio covered it pretty well.

Sorry to ruin your day like that :rolleyes:
Modus

You didn't ruin my day I had already screwed that up myslelf. :(

crosstudio said:

flip the phase on the right channel.

What da heck does that mean? Im using Cool Edit Pro and Im pretty sure you can do something with phase; just break it down for the dummies of the board such as myself, lol.

Im using cool edit pro as well. just highlight the left or right channel, it doesnt matter which one, and go to; Transform/Invert and that should do it.

Modus

i took the 50 cent song 'many men', flipped the phase on the right track and panned them both to center.

the whole song darn near dissappeared. nothing but reverb and the doubled rap vocals. almost the whole song... beat, bass, keys and main vocals was all but gone.

Stuff in the Center

When doing the phase inversion trick, you almost always have to add a huge bass boost after adding the two tracks together. This is because most recordings have the bass panned near dead center. The bass boost is a feature that YoGen vocal remover software uses but you can do the same thing with an eq plugin or outboard eq.

the bass being dead center didn't surprise me, but the snare, and keyboard parts being center really surprised me.

crosstudio said:
the bass being dead center didn't surprise me, but the snare, and keyboard parts being center really surprised me.

That Surprises me too.

Ima after to listen a little deeper. I guess I just auto expected Dre nem to have pans on those inst.

Malcolm

edit. Maybe they used a sample, dead down the center.

Back