Cutting graphtec nuts?

slowmotion

Hey guys

Not wanting to send the "chipped my nut" thread completely off the rails, do any of you tech types have any tips for dealing with graphtec nuts?

I've cut a few now and they seem to render my files almost useless. They seem to coat my files and they just slip over the surface rather than properly biting/cutting into it (good for strings/tuning, not so great when you want to slot the nut in the first place!!). Bit of a pain. Well, I should clarify, the first time I did one I didn't seem to have much of a problem, but now, my files seem quite blunt (they are clean). It's like they've been coated with a non stick coating (I know they market them with a similar catch cry, but sheesh).

Any ideas? Using stewmac files.

Ever file aliminum with a regular file and notice how quickly the file becomes clogged with aliminum residue? Maybe graphite does something similar. I don't know. Maybe Light will come along shortly. I'd be willing to bet he has run into this at some point and has the correct answer.

Just get a copper or steel brush. The hardware store will have big ones specifically for cleaning files, but you can get a little toothbrush-sized one.

I've never had a problem with it, but then I very seldom use graphtech nuts. I like their saddles, but I just don't see the need for their nuts.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I like their saddles, but I just don't see the need for their nuts.
Absolutely. The tonepro TOM with the graphtec saddles is fantastic. But the nuts drive me nuts!!!

But sadly I can't decline work just because someone comes to me with a graphtec nut and wants it fitted for whatever reason (yet... hehe). I'll try really scrubbing the files with stiffer brushes, maybe I wasn't using enough elbow grease.

Back