Cut and Paste drummers... Venting...

sepsis311

Well I recorded my drummer this weekend. I've always been a big fan of this forum, you guys really have taught me many tricks that helped me avoid headaches... and i like to abide by these "rules". Anyway, here is my horror story, and if any of you drummers out there think i'm being to harsh, let me know...

Firstly, I wouldn't call myself a drummer, but I am somewhat expirienced. I wanted to start learning drums, so i'd practice at the studio I worked at, then eventually went out and bought a kit. Tama Rockstar Custom (fusion size). It's perfect for recording, big kick drum (18x22), smaller toms(10, 12, 14), and wooden snare(14). I always get wonderful recording sounds out of this kit, the small toms are punchy, have alot of attack, and when tuned lower, still deliver the goods. It's my expirience that larger toms sound like cardboard, and can ruin a mix.

So, my drummer is cool using my kit, since i have the heads tuned nicely, and all. His kit is a Pearl Export. He decided that my 14" floor tom isnt big enough, he wants to bring his 18 for "extra low end." Ughhh... I explained to him smaller toms sound better... blah blah blah. "Nah man, i want the extra low end." Fine, i let him use his floor tom.

Then, he says, "yo, before each song, can you a scratch guitar track for me so i have something to jam to?" I say, "Do i really have to hold your hand and walk you through each song? Don't you know the songs? I mean, you count your measures, right?" He replies, "well yea, but it's easier." I am against this for one reason, scratch guitar tracks are scratch tracks, and even though it will be to a metronome, the playing might be a little sloppy and you get the idea.

Then, in every song, he'd say, "well the verse feels normal, but the chorus seems a little fast." I explained that a metronome keeps time, and if he isnt with it, then it means he isnt keeping time.

Eventually he decides he doesnt like the metronome, and wants to play to just the guitar. His feelings "since the guitars are done to metronome, if i follow the guitars, it will be on time." Obviously, this isnt true, distorted guitars are going to be much harder to follow. But of course, I am willing to allow this, and waste more time, cause he wants to at least "try it." Of course it doesnt work...

Finally, he decides that he wont do any fills where i play a solo, that match up with the solo, cause that part feels too slow, and when he plays it on time with the metronome, he cant do it right. Funny, the rest of the song was ok, and i always told him he speeds that part up, but he didnt beleive me.

So, during the writting of one of our songs a few months ago, i said, yo learn this rythm, i want the kicks to follow, it doesnt sound like they do. He said, "dude it fits... just cause im not following every kick, that doesnt mean its not right." I said, "just cause your playing at the same tempo as me, it doesnt mean we're playing the same song." So he decided to ignore me. So we went to record this song, and hes playing to it, and stops. I say, whats wrong? He tells me, "i didnt know you were playing that. It doesnt sound right with what im doing." at this point, im so angry i say, "just play the damn song and take out the kick wherever it doesnt fit. I tried to explain this to you when we wrote it, but instead you said, "dude it fits"".

Wherever he fucked up, he wanted me to cut and paste, and "just do it on new tracks." I tell him "no, a solid drummer should be able to play the song they wrote, at a steady tempo." Keep in mind, this is a metal band, no crazy fast playing either. 4 minute songs at max. Its groove beats, basicallyt like rock. Nothing fancy.

And the two songs i let him do without the metronome came out like crap.

bottom line...
Using his floor tom against my recommendation ruins the mix. It sounds like a damn cardboard box. His cut/paste attitude makes mixing a song a job. His "it fits" attitude ruined a song.

and shouldn't a solid drummer be able to play a beat at any tempo?

Please do pick apart everthing I wrote here. I am hoping that maybe i'm too picky or something, cause i do think i sound harsh. But i can't help but to feel right. So if someone disagree's, kindly let me know. HELP.

Sincierly,
::Frustrated, and possibly looking for a North Jersey metal drummer...::

Get a new drummer.

Seriously.

If the guy can't play to a metronome and just makes life hard and a waste of time, what's the point?

I guess I'm lucky in the sense that the drummer in our band knows that I know marginally more about recording then he does, and so he takes my advice on tom sizes, and mic placement, etc.

One way that we record which might make it easier for your drummer, is to record a scratch track together. Physically isolate the drums and mic them up, and have the rest of the band playing through the mixer. That way the drummer can monitor the rest of the band while he's playing and may feel more comfortable knowing that he's playing 'with' the band as opposed to 'to' the band.

why are you trying to record the songs with a metronome, if you have never practiced them with one? forget the metro, just play guitar along with him live. it will sound waaaay better than what you are trying to do now..

Hit him with the 18" floor tom. Tell him the low end is better if it's in his head!

No, seriously. Get a drummer! Not a new drummer - A real drummer. A real drummer understands time and the flow of a song. If he can't play to a click, he's not ready. If the kicks aren't in the right space he's not listening. Some people need a little bruise to their ego before they wake up and take the next step towards improving. Some people are just thick and will never get it. Its really not worth the headache to you unless this is a really good friend you don't want to lose. In that case you may have a battle on your hands that will take some time to relove. be ready! :(

foreverain4 said:
why are you trying to record the songs with a metronome, if you have never practiced them with one? forget the metro, just play guitar along with him live. it will sound waaaay better than what you are trying to do now..
I've tried that in the past with my other band, and it just didnt sound good. the song would pick up pace... so i figured this is the way to go.

I also agree completely with the "if he can't play the song right in the first place, what's the point of editing" stance. Editing drums for little mistakes here and there is OK. Editing drums to change the performance is a big waste of time.

Also, a good drummer should not have a hard time adjusting to playing with a click. It can be a little challenging at first, but if the drummer can already keep time, then it's not that difficult of an adjustment.

I record all our songs to a metronome. Its extra work, but the finished product is better. Not to mention you learn things about your playing as a result.

sepsis311 said:
I've tried that in the past with my other band, and it just didnt sound good. the song would pick up pace... so i figured this is the way to go.

learn to play together then.... sounds like a metronome is not going to fix you problem anyway... i have recorded many great bands, and guess what? the drummer could not play with a metro!!! but, they could play together. dont get me wrong, a metro is very useful, but not always necessary...

as a band, at practice, we're very tight. but i hate not using a metronome. when its used even if there's a little slippage (which is normal), the song flows better. In my expirience, drummers tend to speed up a song as it goes on.

foreverain4 said:
learn to play together then.... sounds like a metronome is not going to fix you problem anyway... i have recorded many great bands, and guess what? the drummer could not play with a metro!!! but, they could play together. dont get me wrong, a metro is very useful, but not always necessary...
I agree. If the band is tight, a click track is not necessary. But it seems to me that this isn't the case here.

Music is suppose to breathe. He does need able to keep steady time, but if the music calls for a tempo change of some sorts (even slight), playing to the metronome is just going to throw him off. I really do understand the importance of being able to keep time, and stay on beat, but music is not mechanical and should have to be exactly on the downbeat for every hit.

Years ago, I had trouble keeping time with the Metronome. Then one day I asked the recording engineer to double the tempo in the Metro and Presto! ...it got easier. The faster clicks somehow made it easier to mentally anticipate and groove with the count.

We didn't speed up the song, we only switched the metro to 16th notes instead of 8th. I've been using that trick ever since.

RawDepth

we tried that too, but it only confused him more. I dunno, tonight we have practice. the band wants to hear what it came out like. I did some good scratch guitars over the drums, and im going to mixdown and bring it. the songs that suck, i didnt even bother adding guitars, so it will expose him even more. Maybe the whole band can talk sense into him.

Here's a suggestion. Might sound stupid. But here it goes.... you play your scratch track either with him or before he even plays. In either case you play along with a click track without him hearing the click. Always keep the click recorded so you can prove to the drummer you are on time.

This is a sensitive situation with any musician. In my opion, the biggest insult you can give a musician is telling one "you can not keep time". GULP........

You should get rid of the drummer if you don't want him there. I record this super talented band and everything they do sounds amazing. Only problem is the bass player is god awful and I mean so awful that after 8 years of him learning bass I can still outplay him and I've never had a lesson, he just doesn't have a grasp on music, it doesn't naturally flow for him. When he plays its like he's working out a math problem in his head, he sits there and stares at the floor for hours trying to figure out how he's supposed to play. Most musicians that I know are naturally talented they've been in music so long its natural to them. If you give me a guitar rif I'll give you a drum beat in 5 seconds, if you give their bass player a cd of the completed song(guitar player lays down the bass) it'll take him a month or more to get 75% of it down which is about as much as he can get done in a song. It was so bad once during a show he stood there with his hands on his hips because he didn't know the song. This band won't kick this guy out because he's so nice but I feel they're holding themselves way back by putting up with his useless playing. My point is don't let your weak link hold you back, an amazing drummer could catapult you guys to the next level and this guy could be holding you guys back one way or another. Now to get a little off subject, I always thought the deeper and bigger the toms the better, not smaller, and if a drummer wants to use his stuff let him. Let any musician you record use what they want. They get the sound they think they want and they can't blame you or your equipment if the recording doesn't cut it. Just let them know if they are going to use their kit or drum they need to set it up to be recorded and let them know what they need to do to get it there.

jonnyc said:
Now to get a little off subject, I always thought the deeper and bigger the toms the better, not smaller,...

There's no truth to this either way. It's personal preference. To a mic, a drum is a drum is a drum. Does your kick sound better than your 12"? Does an 8" sound better than a 14"?

The modern trend is fusion kits with smaller drums, just like in the 80's it was all extra-depth and the 90's everyone had to have a piccolo snare. Its a trend. Like 4 piece kits vs. a monster setup.

Im not just saying this because i play DW drums and i have big floor toms, but if you want to record big 16" and 18" floor toms, they have to be very good drums. With smaller toms, a nice rockstar will sound great miked. BUT, if you want to record 16 and 18's you need expensive drums. Big, cheap drums sound like ass IMO.

BTW, rockstars are the only innexpensive kits that i would be happy to play in a studio. Im not into the high end TAMA kits, except the Exotics, but they do a GREAT job with their $700-$1500 Rockstars and Superstars.

Charlie

Back