Curtained Studio!!!

alixir

Hi all. I just bought some studio gear:

alesis M1 active mark 2's
yamaha cs2x (keyboard)
apple mac g3+cubase+yamaha dsp factory cards
silicon filled monitor stands

The gear sits on a table about 8ft long which is pretty heavy. the monitors sit on metal (silicon gel filled) stands and are horizontally set up with tweeters to the inside. My overall space is 8 foot long and 5 foot wide and the walls that surround it are hanging curtains. The hanging curtains are hung by string inside my bedroom which is larger, but the room i have for the studio set up is very limited indeed! The monitors are 6 inches or so from the back curtain and about 3 and a half foot from the front curtain. I have heard that tiny studios often have a good sound (staircase cupboard etc). I thought I'd try this method out to see if it would make the sound in my room nice and dead. Can anybody foresee any benefits or incredibly bad points with having a hanging curtain studio??? I'm also a bit mad as well if that helps!

Cheers!

A few thoughts- Usually you put the tweeters on the outside because high frequencies are more directional and it will give you better stereo seperation when you mix.

Curtains will only kill the highs and in a small room there are usually problems with low mids. If you kill all the highs you will end up with a room that is very dead but boomy sounding.

You would be better off using some absorbers that give you a more full range of absorbtion. Look around in the Studio Building forum and you can get some ideas.

Back