Curiousity...Dual monitor in Cubase?

tntkemp

I was wondering if the newer version...and the older version...of Cubase VST was capable of running on a dual monitor. I have a friend with a Cubase-studio, and I have a Sonar-based studio. I love Sonar on dual monitor.

Tom Kemp

Cool, I'm running the Matrox G400 on my Sonar setup. What version(s) of Cubase support Dual monitor? I'm not suer what version my buddy has, but It isn't the latest, I know...

Tom Kemp

Ok, to re-iterate my original question, When you say 'Yes, you can use dual monitor', are you saying that you can do this with separate desktops or do you have to spread the desktop across two monitors? This is an option within my Matrox Millenium G400 settings, and I'm sure it is for most.

Also, will both VST24 and VST32 do this?

Tom Kemp

Yes, it can be like 2 computers. However....that's how I use it with Sonar. Sonar allows you do un-dock windows and move them to a different monitor. Objects can cross between two monitors, like a single desktop, but when you bring them full screen they only end up in the side they are in (or mostly in). I wouldn't want to have something fill both monitors when I bring it up full screen, and I don't really want them crossing over both screens at all. I keep my mixer, remote transport, Clock(counter) and other remote buttons on the 2nd screen, all of my waveforms on the first.

I'm hoping to find out that my friend with his Cubase VST24 studio can do this with his.

Tom Kemp

Does it remember window positions on both monitors? For instance will it open all the windows where you last left them after quitting the application, or do you have to reposition everything again.
I use an older version of Cubase that works fine on two monitors and I prefer to use the arrange window on my larger monitor but whenever I quit or open a new song, it reverts back to the smaller monitor. I'm constantly having to reposition my arrange window and resize it back onto my 2nd monitor.

I used to use Cubase VST 5.0r5 on a dual monitor setup and it remembered to put my transport controls, performance meter, and remote window on the second screen. I never tried to put any of the main windows over there.

You might try expanding your cubase window to include both monitors. Windos shouldn't know the difference.

I have no idea how Macs handle it.

most applications are capable of being viewed on dual monitors depending on the setup - i use dual screens on windows PC's and don't use any additional software to set up the screens - not needed - on 1 setup i have a Matrox G400 with dual heads and on the other i just have 2 video cards(not my audio PC, that can cause irq nightmares)

when you maximise the size of windows they'll expand to fill the screen they're mostly in.

to have the application fill out on both screens you need to restore the screen to it's manipulative size and resize to fill both screens manually.

once this is done and you exit the application it will generally reopen at the previous size - if this doesn't happen, save a template and re-open the saved template which should definitely open at the saved dual screen size.

applications don't generally have 'dual screen' capability, this is something the OS manages.

there's screen manager software available that help you manage the placement of applications on your desktop but this is generally for people who run up to 20 apps simultaneously and would not really be required in the audio world.

Back