Curious about certain processors!!!

Link

Now here's a question that Ive been pondering for a little while. I'm just wondering with all these spatializer effects units, such as the behringer edison, what happens if i apply the effect onto my final mix, and then the mix (with the effect already their) is played on a stereo system that has its own type of spatialiser (or surround as they seem to be calling it these days). I'm just curious how the material will sound when it has had the effect applied twice to it!!!
Thanx

The music will just *surround you* and you will be awash in waves of musical ecstasy!!! :)

(wrong answer)

Seriously, it would be similar situation if you add excessive EQ to your mix, then give it to someone and they turn the treble up - super-bright, harsh, possibly-tinny sound.

In the case of surround effects, the stereo image would likely get very muddy and indistinct, some extra brightness, and the mids will probably get sucked out.

It won't sound "bigger", just mushy....

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Yo MASTERLINK? [you're not the person making those are you?]

He He He, just kidding.

I've noticed that on some recorders, like my MD-8, and probably others as well, that you can hear effects if you want to hear them while recording a vocal or another track, etc. However, the effects are NOT RECORDED; you can add them or variations of "them" at mix-down.

Now, the MD-8 will also record effects as the track is recorded if you want to do that; you can add more effects at mix-down; BUT, as noted above, you start to get mushy and the words of the vocalist seem to melt into an ocean of mumbles and jumbles.

I use two effects units since the MD-8, as well as other units, will accomodate them; and, I've often bumped in effects from both units during mix-down when I find something good, usually by accident.

As the good people on this site have said over and over, mixing your final product of 3 minutes can often entail three days, three months, or longer. Depends how much time you have and exactly what you want to hear.

Have phun, [fun} it would sound like PHUN if you over do the FX.

Green Hornet

I own and have used the EDISON in recording and realized
that an annoying line noise is produced when using gain past 10db. It does provide certain spatial effects when mixing down to stereo,but IMHO, it's better used when recording a band consisting of a full rhythm and horn section to give the mix a certain wider range in the stereo
than you would with a 4-5 piece set-up.
Since jazz and R&B are my flavors of music,(though I luv all music!) occasionly I'll have 2-4 horn players over and the EDISON just gives the horn section a much wider presence!

Back