Cult Classics

Neumann U-67. I used to use 2 of these back in the mid '70's and they were great as vocals, overheads on drums and, in fact just about anything. They did three polar patterns, were tube operational but could take quite a large input signal before reaching overload level. I wish that I owned them now for their current pricing.

The Sennheiser K3-U was a pleasant surprise!

I own 6 K3-u bodies, with 3 x me80 heads (semi-shotgun), 3 x me 40 heads (cardiod) and 2 x me 20 heads (omni), they are the most useful mics to have around if you just need to capture clean sound natural from anything.

Alan

Well, you guys have certainly given me a lot to research. I'm developing a bit of an obsession with mics, and I just started in this hobby! If I won the lottery, I'd own a bunch of old ribbon mics- just to sit on the mantle if nothing else (but I'm pretty sure I could find other uses for them). The RCA 77 is a piece of art.

The Sennheiser MD421 (II) is on my short list of possible acquisitions. There seem to be a lot of people that love 'em for cabs.

I also need a smooth and well behaved mic for vocal recording. The ones I have used so far have a harsh and/or sibilant HF.

Time to do more reading!

Thanks all.
Drone.

I own 6 K3-u bodies, with 3 x me80 heads (semi-shotgun), 3 x me 40 heads (cardiod) and 2 x me 20 heads (omni), they are the most useful mics to have around if you just need to capture clean sound natural from anything.

Alan

Yes Alan ..... a great microphone!

I found mine used in a music store and they had no idea what they had (you have to open them to see the Sennheiser name).

Well, you guys have certainly given me a lot to research. I'm developing a bit of an obsession with mics, and I just started in this hobby! If I won the lottery, I'd own a bunch of old ribbon mics- just to sit on the mantle if nothing else (but I'm pretty sure I could find other uses for them). The RCA 77 is a piece of art.

The Sennheiser MD421 (II) is on my short list of possible acquisitions. There seem to be a lot of people that love 'em for cabs.

I also need a smooth and well behaved mic for vocal recording. The ones I have used so far have a harsh and/or sibilant HF.

Time to do more reading!

Thanks all.
Drone.

Drone ~ PM me and we will talk about microphone obsession!!!! ;)

Drone ~ PM me and we will talk about microphone obsession!!!! ;)

PM sent! :)

I think I'm gonna go with an EV-RE20 for my first "real" vocal mic. I tried one out the other day and loved how forgiving and neutral it was. They seem to preserve the organic integrity of the human voice quite well. All in all I think it will be a good addition for a beginner like me.

I also tried out an AKG 414 and even a Lawson L47. I like the 414 a lot, but absolutely Loved the Lawson. The 414 would be a great addition for certain instruments in the future, but the Lawson is outta my league ($$$).
I just blew my budget on monitors. :o

Drone.

Drone you are one of the lucky few who got to audition several microphone before purchasing.

Even though you had your heart set on and mind made up, the microphone that was luring you like the sirens that would draw Hercules to his death you were able to see first hand that particular microphone wasn't suited for your voice. Yet you were able to find the perfect match between your voice and the proper transducer.

Now we can talk about Preamps!

Back