Cubase+Terratec EWS88D

scanman

hello,

anybody using this combination together sucessfully?

i am trying to get as low a latency as possible,any ideas?

i can only get it down to 20/30 msecs

i am using a Behringer ADA8000 at the front end routing 8 Adat channels via lightpipe through my EWS88D into cubase.

any thoughts,

thanks.

I use an EWX2496, which uses the same technology as your card. Works fine :)

Latency, depending on the speed of your comp, can be gotten pretty low. I'm running an AMD 2000+ with 512mb ram, and with a buffer of 800 samples I can get a latency below 10ms @ 44.1khz. I can get a latency of something like...4ms, at 96khz, but my computer can't take any more stress after that point.

thanks,

i am using a similar pc setup,so i feel a bit better now!

i thought i should have been getting somewhere near zero latency but alas no.

thanks

Depends. Perhaps if you've got a super fast PC, run everything at the lowest buffer size and highest everything else, you might get like, 1ms or something. But really, not human ear can hear the difference between 1ms and 10ms in my opinion (some people may clame to be able to hear or "feel" 10ms, but in the big picture, that's not gonna be your biggest problem).

Halion said:
I can get a latency below 10ms @ 44.1khz. I can get a latency of something like...4ms, at 96khz, but my computer can't take any more stress after that point.
Are you saying you get a lower latency at the higher sample rate?

That's real interesting because logically you would think you'd need more processing with a higher sampling rate, thus more latency. What do you mean a character limit?

I mean that I can't just post "Yes I am" because it's not enough words ;)

And yes, it does sound strange, but it's true. Perhaps if you think about it like a pipeline, it makes sence. A bigger pipeline maybe harder to make/use, but water can run through it alot easier.

halion,

how do you monitor with your terratec card?

in the audio system settings of cubase i have a choice to select from,i can

either select EWS88D or MULTIMEDIA CARD(even though i have only one card).

if i select EWS88D i can record no prob but only have monitorng via

a choice of "waveplay" drivers which i cant hear but have 1 msec latency.

If i select MULTIMEDIA CARD i can

record and have "direct monitoring",but have 719 msec latency

Any ideas?

Yes. The Multi Media driver things are never much good. I do hear sound when using the EWX outs. No problem. A bit of latency but nowhere near 700+ ms. Don't know what you can't hear anything mate.

mixer

scanman said:
halion,

how do you monitor with your terratec card?

in the audio system settings of cubase i have a choice to select from,i can

either select EWS88D or MULTIMEDIA CARD(even though i have only one card).

if i select EWS88D i can record no prob but only have monitorng via

a choice of "waveplay" drivers which i cant hear but have 1 msec latency.

If i select MULTIMEDIA CARD i can

record and have "direct monitoring",but have 719 msec latency

Any ideas?

You should maybe open the mixer and use another routing. I don't know for the "D" version since I have the non "D" version.

Hugo

www.pego.be

Back