cubase technic question, please???

tribal

Hey, everyone, I'm recording multi tracks, using cubase SX3 with Alesis Multimix firewire, I want to make the vocal track stand out from other instruments so that it would be clear to hear the voice without higher up the track.What plugins should I use or how would i edit?

Last edited:
hmm. This is more a of mixing question. You could start by using a parametric EQ. Maybe give midrange frequencies a little boost on the vocal track (I'm not going to bark specific frequencies at you because I beleive it's all circumstancial). Roll off some of the vocal track's low end aswell maybe. With the other instruments in the mix, maybe use EQ to cut a bit of notch at around the same frequencies you boosted n the vocal track.

A lot of it is pretty ad hoc, it depends what the mix needs, but playing around with a parametric EQ is a good place to start.

One of the best tools for getting vocals to stand out is compression.
I sometimes use 2 compressors for the vox.
comp to add warmth then EQ(maybe cutting low and low mids, boosting high and high mids) then another comp (sometimes) to catch the stray peaks.
Then volume automation to make certain phrases stand out or not stand out so much.

Eck

Playing with the EQ can get you into big trouble fast if your not sure where to start. Before reaching for it try this:

Turn all tracks down to half their level except for the vocal. Now start bringing them back up one by one. The ones that start to bury the vocal need to be turned down.

Then as Eck mentions, grab a compressor plugin to even out the vocal track and supplement that with automation if necessary.

Then try the EQ after all this.

If you don't know were to start RE:EQ, then I would advise playing around with it as much as possible until you do. As with anything, it's good to triddle the knobs until you find out what effect they have. Just if you EQ'd wrong and it ends up sounding like ass, don't get too involved in re-EQing over the top of it. Flatten it out and start again.

I'll admit that it was a bit of an oversight on my part not to mention compression with regards vocals. :p

Thanks for the respond guys, I got another question about vocal effect???, I want to know what plugins or effect should I use to sound like the catchy vocal part "Believe by CHER". Is that what they called Vocoder sound??

It sounds similar to a vocoder, but it's actually just a really extreme autotune. Apparantly the producer was just pissing around, but Cher heard it and insisted it remain in the tune.

....and the industry was forever changed.

Now when I have a good singer who wants to sound like Cher, but doesn't sing out-of-key enough to sound that way, I will have to pitch-shift a mix about 40 cents - so that they purposely sing out of key and the autotuner will make them sound like a robot when their take is tuned in the actual, non-pitch-shifted mix...what's gonna happen next? Drums replaced with pots and pans, I guess...

cher n shaere alike!

for example the song is in key of G , set the autotune to A or maybe F,...maybe replace pots n pans with drums [ lets slag the drummer`s] ,cheers,dobrocop,...:p;):eek:

Last edited:
Back