Cubase Stutter problem!!!

jay clarke

Hello all

I am currently using cubase SX-3. I am having current problems with the playback, it jumps and stutters and stuff so I cant possibly record music over it. My computer is 3.0 Ghz, 3GB Ram.

I have a Tascam US-122L that I am trying to use to record guitar through but it seems to have relatively low latancy compared with my ASIO soundcard, and I cant possibly play back anything through it, I use alot of VSTS including 548mb DFHS, 200mb the grand and many more. Even if record audio drumtracks using 9 mics each with their own mixer eq settings and waves compression, my ASIO wont play them all simultaniously. Surely my comp is good enough?

How do I get around this?

jay clarke said:
Hello all

I am currently using cubase SX-3. I am having current problems with the playback, it jumps and stutters and stuff so I cant possibly record music over it. My computer is 3.0 Ghz, 3GB Ram.

I have a Tascam US-122L that I am trying to use to record guitar through but it seems to have relatively low latancy compared with my ASIO soundcard, and I cant possibly play back anything through it, I use alot of VSTS including 548mb DFHS, 200mb the grand and many more. Even if record audio drumtracks using 9 mics each with their own mixer eq settings and waves compression, my ASIO wont play them all simultaniously. Surely my comp is good enough?

How do I get around this?

Are you using the 24 bit ASIO driver that came with the US 122?
Have you disabled internet connectivity?
Have you disabled anti-virus software and disabled background applications?
Have you adjusted the Latency in the US 122 in the control panel view?
Have you updated the US 122s firmware?
Is the Cuabse version legit?

Right, well I took your advice and changed the latancy settings on my Tascam control panel, and seems to have fixed the problem now. Thank you very much.

jay clarke said:
Right, well I took your advice and changed the latancy settings on my Tascam control panel, and seems to have fixed the problem now. Thank you very much.

It's a weird one, the latency. You should do the otehr stuff as well, the internet and antivirus etc.

There's no need to disable your internet connection or antivirus software (unless your antivirus eats up a bunch of memory). Just make sure your antivirus isn't scheduled to run while you're recording.

TravisinFlorida said:
There's no need to disable your internet connection or antivirus software (unless your antivirus eats up a bunch of memory). Just make sure your antivirus isn't scheduled to run while you're recording.

I disagree. I say get off the internet and turn the anti-virus off when you're producing, tracking and mixing.

The Audio Cave said:
I disagree. I say get off the internet and turn the anti-virus off when you're producing, tracking and mixing.

How much of a performance boost have you measured by doing so? I haven't noticed much here.

TravisinFlorida said:
How much of a performance boost have you measured by doing so? I haven't noticed much here.

In my case it wasn't performance....my still-connected dial up and my wi fi high speed connection were both fighting to hook up to the net in the midst of a recording. I had some nasty drop puts and pops. My anti-virus automatically updates, so it makes sense to disconnect.

Back