Cubase & softsynths on same drive or not ?

rxkevco

Hi all,
Have finally finished my quad core pc and am ready to install cubase 4 but before i do, i would just like some advice on where to install my NI stuff and other softsynths ?
I have 3 drives, a 320gb sata drive with 64bit vista on it, with all my other genral bits and peices.
I then have 2 500gb sata drives as well.
One is for all my music collection, dvds, and photo collections etc, , And the other 5oogb drive is solely for my cubase 4 install.

What i would like to know is, , where should i install my softsynths etc, , on the same drive as cubase, , or will cubase find them on another drive whenever i want to use one for recording ? ?

Many thanks, , kev

i went to a three drive system awhile back and find it's great... but the way i did all progs on the system drive... cubase audio and midi only on two... and vsti sample data on three...

Thanks for that,
So the system i enquired about should be fine if cubase and my vsts softsynths etc all on the same 500gb drive ?

And 500gb should be plenty shouldnt it, especially if i export finished projects onto a further external drive ?

Cheers, kev

--- From my Wordpad file of common replies ---------------------

Music Drives

You use a separate drive when data is being streamed constantly and you want quick, uninterrupted access.
The goal is SMOOTH UNINTERRUPTED THROUGHPUT of data.

C: (Boot) OS, apps and vsts
(order of secondary drives doesn't matter)
D: Sample libraries
E: thru Z: Music projects and misc data

A 7200rpm drive can stream around 100 tracks simultaneously, so film and orchestra producers will split up music project to multiple project drives every 80-100 tracks.

Because a standard 7200rpm drive can do 100 tracks, expensive 10K and 15K rpm drives are not neccesary. They're generally noiser, too... bad for the studio.

RAIDs are not very efficient on desktop OS's and tests by major magazines (Sound-on-Sound) have found that they only speed up access by 10-15% in the REAL WORLD and are not worth the extra complexity they bring to the desktop. Separate dedicated drives are better.

Back