Cubase SL midi question..

TragikRemix

I am NOT a Gear Whore. ;)
hey guys,

im a protools guy, but i needed soemthing for when im using my laptop outside the studio, and i just want to make some midi parts up.

i bought Cubase SL, thinking it would be cool cause i dont need an interface hooked up, unlike PT.

so, i gave up on it once, but now im back to it, cause i paid some money for it and i might as well use it.

so my question to you is; i want to write some midi in with the pencil tool, but i can't figure out how to open something like a piano roll (as its called in sonar) or any kinda grid?

the manual says nothing about it! and if it does, even just a page number would be awesome.

thanks guys.

Add a MIDI track, and then use the pencil tool (in the track view) to draw a line in the MIDI track. Once you draw that line, you'll get a blank grey box (unless you've changed it's color with the track color editor...). Click on that grey box around the blankness, then go up to the MIDI dropdown menu and select "key editor". You'll get a window that pops up with the piano scroll in it. Use the pencil tool inside that to draw in MIDI notes.

Hope that helped!

thats awesome, thank you!

another question; is it possible to change the notes to names of like the drums and stuff. i cant do it in PT but i figured maybe i could here.

That I am not too sure of. I know you can set up a drum map, but I don't ever use that feature 'cause BFD makes it easier to do with their MIDI learn feature. But, check out the drum editor, you may be able to find something out there. I'm pretty sure it lets you select the notes that you want to trigger certain sounds, but I don't know if it displays that information in the key editor.

TragikRemix said:
thats awesome, thank you!

another question; is it possible to change the notes to names of like the drums and stuff. i cant do it in PT but i figured maybe i could here.

There's a midi drum editor grid in SE3, don;t think it comes with LE.

The drum map is what you are looking for, it will be towards the bottom of the inspector window or the little drumstick icon on the midi track. This will allow you to change the names of the drum mapping but more importantly, it will also allow you to take any incoming midi note and map it to another midi note. I use this as an easy way to change between pad setups for my MPD pads

Back