Cubase problem.

Tifstorey

Guinea Pig
Hi guys,

Sorry for the 'basic' heading, but i dont know how to describe this problem so please bare with me..

Basically i've recorded various sounds and edited them to how i want them. There's a few channels which i've automated for various reasons, however, Cubase seems to be muting random channels whenever it feels like it and i cant seem to find the problem.

Nothing is Solo'd,
Theyre not on Mute,
They are turned up in the fader..

When i go to the mixer and click the 'unmute all' button on the left, even though nothing is muted, i get around 2-3 seconds burst of audio and then it stops again.. If i repeatedly bash this button i can hear it.. but surely there's something i'm missing or is Cubase just penalising me for my late start on a project? :(

Please help if you can folks!

Cheers,

Is there any midi devices connected to your DAW? Make sure that there is no control surface set up (it will pick a default port), otherwise any incoming midi data will be interpreted as control surface msgs

There is some automation - And it's these tracks that are generally messing up.

I do have one midi interface connected, but i'm not using midi at all in this perticular project and i can see that the audio tracks im using are routed through to the correct channels.

I've just spent around 4 hours trying to figure it out - not come up with the answer unfortunately.

The audio was supposed to be sent to the client today at 2pm, so i guess i'll be making a phone call...

Hit F12 run your audio, is the CPU spiked perhaps? I know when I reach >90% CPU skipping, stuttering and general freezing occurs.

If that's the case, try freezing or bounce some tracks.

Another q... Does this happen on your automated tracks? If so, try muting the automation. Maybe there's something there.

Hey, thanks for replying.

My CPU generally runs at around 10% all the way, its quite a beast so it doesn't normally encounter any problems. I'll check though to make sure.

It seems to only happen on the automated tracks, although if i mute the automatino it still doesn't work.

I ended up bouncing down some tracks last night and imported it again, re did the automation for that perticular track and it worked fine for around 2 minutes then stopped working again..

Ok new discoveries:

If i restart Cubase and turn of all 'read enable' automation, the tracks play, but obviously without automation. If i turn them on, they stop - and coincidently, if i turn them back off, they still dont work..

Anybody got any ideas? :confused:

TifStorey -

It sounds like you have inadvertantly recorded-in some mute-automation:

Is the mute activity the same every time you play, or is it random?

Ok, on the arrange page right click over the track info bit (where the name is, mute/solo buttons etc.). You'll get an option that says something like 'Show used automation on tracks'. Click that. You should now see all the automation on the tracks, INCLUDING mute-automation, displayed as rubber-bands. You should see where the tracks are muting on the rubber-band display. Now simply erase that mute automation!!

I hope that helps, otherwise I'll pray for you... :)

A47.

Hey Agent,

I got the automation up and checked the mute automation but it said it was 'off' and showed no activity on the actual audio.. I rang my client and he wasn't happy so i'm going to have to export it all individually as .wav files and import it into Logic or Pyramix and re do all the automation aswell as editing/mixing...

Damn Cubase!! :(

So to totally totally confirm, the thick black line that represents the mute automation is completely flat, not going up and down?

When I've accidentally automated the mute function in the past, you can see the mute automation's line doing a square zigzagging from the bottom to the top. None of that?

Failing my earlier suggestion, why don't you try what Altiris says?

altiris said:
cant you just remove the automation and redo the automation parts?

I guess i could, to be honest i never thought of doing that because i shouldn't have to. I know these things aren't 100% reliable, but it just annoys me when things like this happen.

Is there a way of 'defaulting' the whole automation for specific tracks?

Cheers,

No offense, but it is my experience that more often things like this are user error and not a malfunction. With as much as things do now adays it is really easy to accidentally tell your software to do something without realizing it.

I totally agree man, i've been to many studios where the various things have 'stopped working' and it's a simple solution.

I've used Cubase for a couple of years, only recently moved to a programme called Pyramix due to me moving more towards designing for visuals, which is why i wanted to ensure i wasn't incorrect when i couldn't figure out the problem myself.

The thing that makes me think it's more of a problem with software is that sometimes it works other's it doesn't, when i reboot and play it, it works, but on the second+ play, it stops..

It's just very strange to me.

Thanks for your reply, i'll try automating things again,

you know what? i've been having similar problems with my cubase LE. Tracks randomly cut out and then start playing again. MIDI is all fucked. I edit MIDI parts like change the velocity of the notes to make it more even and then i'll play it again and it's changed like it should be. I try again and it's back the way it was before. Also randomly the MIDI tracks will not play a measure or whatever. Say I start the part on measure 16, it will skip the first measure and then play as normal from 17 on. This really sucks. It's never done this before and I don't know what to do.

Are you sure the HD is not peaking? I've had this happen from time to time when the HD has peaked (not the CPU but the hard drive). It sounds just like you describe, as if some tracks are getting muted randomly.

noisewreck said:
Are you sure the HD is not peaking? I've had this happen from time to time when the HD has peaked (not the CPU but the hard drive). It sounds just like you describe, as if some tracks are getting muted randomly.

Hmm.. Well i'm running it straight from my internal HD and not from my external HD, but even when i mute all the other tracks it still doesn't work.. The thing that confuses me most is the fact of when i hit 'Un-mute all' even when nothing is muted, it will work for a burst of 2 seconds or so..

Strange...

It is always possible though that Cubase is experiencing some sort of difficulty. Has it always done this? Have you installed something recently (including software and OS updates) that it started screwing up after? What I would reccomend is a clean Cubase install. Before you uninstall it though, copy out all of your template files so you do not have to rebuild them. Also, make sure NONE of your projects have been stored in any Steinberg folder. basically, protect yourself. You could even just copy the whole Steinberg folder to a new location, and better yet a completely different drive. Then uninstall Cubase and try reinstalling it. Before you uninstall you may even want to go into your preferences and save them to a file as well. Once you reinstall Cubase, open a new project and try adding some tracks to it and just do a bunch of automation. If it still glitches, you may have some more serious conflict. If not, try loading the file that was giving you problems. It may work now. If not, than you may have some more serious conflict. However, it seems more likely that some other software or hardware, or even the OS has done something or corrupted something which is causing the software instability. Had you been using Cubase for a while without these issues?

well my problem is recent. The only thing that is new is that more tracks were used than I have before. But it still is only about 12 tracks with no effects added yet. I have a gig of ram and two harddrives(80 and 250 for audio).

Back