Cubase popping?

Rhino_Rick

Hi, I just reinstalled Cubase and I'm getting a strange popping noise in the tune whenever I open up the mixer window or move around to do things while a tune is playing.

I've got over a gig of memory, running 1.4 ghz. I shouldn't have any serious memory issues.. Oh yeah, Aardvark Q10!

Any suggestions? I ran Cubase for a year without these problems prior to my system upgrade.

Thanks,
-Rick

Oh yeah, I guess I should mention I'm running 5.1!

Last edited:
Most likely it's your video card. If you have a PCI video card and a PCI audio card this is a common problem. Go into your graphics card setup and decrease it's acceleration, restart your puter and try it again. If it still pops go in and decrease it even more and retry. If it still is popping decrease it as much as you can and restart. If it is all the way down and you still have a problem then you are beyond my help :p

If you play games on your computer this can blow, but if it's a recording only computer then not having the accelerated graphics won't be noticed.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply!

I've got a Vodoo 5500 in the AGP and the Aardavk Q10 in the PCI, as far away from the AGP as I can make it! I'll give a try and turning down some of the video accel, I usually have it cranked because I'm a nut.

I just thought of something--I'm running on ACPI mode of Win 2000 and the ACPI mode enables IRQ sharing. Maybe this has something to do it? I've got 5 devices on one IRQ, but it's supposed to be able to handle that. I switched over to STANDARD PC mode where the IRQ's aren't being shared like usual and the system ran incredibly bogged down for some reason.

I'll try the video thing first of course!

I don't know about the shared IRQ ports, but I do know that a common cause of clicks, especially when the screen updates or you are moving the screen around while a song is playing, is caused by graphics cards working close to their maximum acceleration. With AGP cards it isn't supposed to make as much of an impact but I would try it anyways. Fast gaming cards with accelerated graphics are more likely to cause this problem.

Back