Cubase M14 Package

rozsand

Question for you -

How is the Cubase M14 package? It comes with Cubase SL and the M14, a 4-in 24/96 USB interface. Guitar Center's been really recommending this one to me, but if you check the Musician's Friend reviews, they're horrendous. Virtually everyone complains about the preamps being garbage and the M14 adding noise. There are supposedly driver problems to boot, and to make matters worse, Steinberg rigged this version of SL to not boot if you don't use the interface.

Is there something else that would be a better choice in the same price range? Or is this really okay?

Although I can't say I have any experience with that model I would have to agree with you that everywhere I look on the Net someones mentioning how bad a product it is. Personally I think you have to take all reviews with a grain of salt but in this particular case I think 95% of what I've read is bad.

I wouldn't go for Cubase software to only works with 1 interface. That's one of the strengths of Cubase, that it works on many systems. Besides, buying a decent soundcard with 2 or 4 ins at 24/96 and Cubase SL might come down to the same price. You still won't have any preamps, but I have yet to see a sound card with decent preamps. Maybe a firepod is something for you?

I love it!! I did the cost benefit analysis a couple of months ago and found that I could get the Cubase MI4 package and a top of the line PC for under $900, which was my budget. While I was learning how to use Cubase this interface was all I needed. Since Steinberg partnered with the MI4 makers I was assured that there would be no problem for Cubase to recognize the interface because they made sure you have the updated drivers. I had no problem setting Cubase up to recognize the interface. I later purchased a 4 x 4 midi interface because I have multiple samplers, but the M14 with its 4 ins x 2 outs audio and 1 x 1 midi interface worked great for me when I was starting out. The sound is great. For those who say the sound is not I too had to learn about general gain control while working in a digital format. I have absolutely no hissing, or no noise whatso ever. Many times I have to check the lights just to make sure its still connected because there's no noise. Yes the MI4 version requires that the interface is connected but this replaces the dongle key which every other Cubase user must have connected in order to start Cubase. So the M14 was rigged its Steinberg's way of ensuring that there software is not pirated. No interface-No Cubase. No dongle-No Cubase.

So take it from someone who bought the M14 it is worth buying, especially if you're on a budget. My tracks are sounding great with the budget version!

Last edited:
Back