Cubase learning curve

petimar

While not new to recording, I am new to Cubase. Formerly a Cool Edit Pro user. While the program looks good, it is confusing for me compared to CEP.

How long did it take you to get to where you could use it comfortably?

I was used to using a mixer and tape decks, Nuendo(cubase) is set up in similar fasion, so it didn't take very long at all.

Good point Fairview- If you approach it as if plugging in and routing actual hardware, it seems to make more sense.

It helps A LOT if you use hotkeys. Especially the numeric keypad. The less you use a mouse, the better.

This latest edition, SX3, took me a few months to master. I only wish I had a second monitor. SX3 is highly customizable, and there are many ways to access the windows you need.

Start recording a few song ideas. After a song or two, you'll get the hang of it. Dive right in and explore it as if it was a new video game :cool:. After you get used to the new controls, then you just have to find your way thorugh the new maps.

(BTW- always helps to RTFM ;) ).

Cheers, Rez

Last edited:
I agree. Try to think of everything in Cubase as actual hardware. Cubase does alot of things that you can't do with hardware too but keep it simple in the beginning. Taking notes helps immensely. Definately take notes and you won't be re-reading the manual and help files every time you forget how to do something.

I started with Cool Edit, briefly tried Sonar, and ended up happily using Cubase. I still use Cool Edit for some things and still find if very useful. I probably spent 6 months using Cubase before I was really comfortable with it but it's worth the effort. Keep in mind that I tried to learn how to use damn near every feature in Cubase so that when I needed to use that feature, I would already be familiar with using it. I don't recommend doing this. Just learn to use what you absolutely need at the moment. There's no sense in learning how to use features that you may not every use. Take notes! It's not that bad.

A few hours or so I guess. Because I had already been using Cubase VST for ages - it's very similar.

Not long at all. I had been using Logic for quite some time before I got Cubase SX2, which thoughtfully has an option to emulate Logic shortcuts. Learning Macros has been the longest curve for me, but doing so pays off big time, just in timed save being able to automate repetitive functions, and speeding up workflow.

Back