Cubase LE4, only 8 instrument tracks?

Somelsewhere

Hello,
so my routine with any new software I get (cubase le4 came with my lambda lexicon) is to read up on it as much I can before messing around wth the software itself,
and well,
it seems that Cubase LE4 only allows up to 8 instrument tracks... which for me, is completely unacceptably limited.
I read that you can render intrument tracks into audio tracks (lim. 64), but I was wondering if that process of rendering would degrade the sound quality of the intrument track at all...? (I am a newb with recording, after all)

Should I just go with Reaper, the Cubase program seems needlessly involved, the only reason I'm attached to the idea of using this bundled software is that the Lexicon Reverb plug-in, which came with my interface, only works with Cubase....bummer.

So what should I do, and if anyone knows a comparable, free reverb plug-in, let me know, and I will go for the Reaper.

Thus the LE in the title, LIMITED EDITION.

Personally, I dumped CubaseSE for Reaper a couple of years ago and never looked back...

Hello,
so my routine with any new software I get (cubase le4 came with my lambda lexicon) is to read up on it as much I can before messing around wth the software itself,
and well,
it seems that Cubase LE4 only allows up to 8 instrument tracks... which for me, is completely unacceptably limited.
I read that you can render intrument tracks into audio tracks (lim. 64), but I was wondering if that process of rendering would degrade the sound quality of the intrument track at all...? (I am a newb with recording, after all)

Should I just go with Reaper, the Cubase program seems needlessly involved, the only reason I'm attached to the idea of using this bundled software is that the Lexicon Reverb plug-in, which came with my interface, only works with Cubase....bummer.

So what should I do, and if anyone knows a comparable, free reverb plug-in, let me know, and I will go for the Reaper.

This is no problem at all.

An instrument track always has to be transferred to audio at some time.
So just transfer your instrument tracks one by one to Audio and delete the instrument track you used for it and you can use again an other instrument track. Quality of the track will be as good as you set it at. Use 24bit.
You can also use just midi tracks instead of instrument tracks.

Om my site is a course in English how to do this. Look under UK Shadows Community.

And I would favour Cubase anyday over Reaper.

Cheers

Wim

http://worldwideshadowsmusic.com/

Last edited:
Thanks Tim, I'll probably get Reaper and just compare its use to this CubaseLE.
And thank you Wim for the advice and the link,
so the sound quality of the instrument track after its conversion into an audio track should sound exactly the same? I think that is my only concern, as my limited knowledge allows me to get needlessly paranoid sometimes, and the more electronic steps involved between me and my music always just seems like a narrower sieve for the sound... yeah, maybe I'm just being silly. Thanks again'

I've been using cubaseLE for a couple of years now. I've gotten to the point where I need to move past a LE version to a full DAW. If you're new to DAWs, give Reaper a try. I'm learning it right now and, while I can't compare it to the full version of Cubase, it's definitely got a lot more useful features than the limited edition. It's free to try and cheap to license, so you're not losing anything by trying it out, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than any of the more functional versions of Cubase.

Back