Cubase LE...

Smoulders

Hi guys.

Im in the process of setting up a basic Music Tech course here in the UK, however my budget has gone from very low to practically nothing, so I wonder if you might be able to answer a couple of questions.

Cubase LE sounds perfect for what I want to do, but I understand it can not be purchased seperately, as it usually comes bundled with various pieces of hardware. Previously it was not a problem as I was going to purchase 8 TASCAM US-122's which each come with a copy of Cubase LE.....problem is, my funding has basically been pulled and I wondered if anyone new the cheapest way of purchasing Cubase LE.

The Tascam card is already very cheap at £150 with the software bundled, but does any one know of an even cheaper card or piece of hardware that comes with the software? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, a decent card is needed if Audio is to be recorded directly into your PC, but if you will not be recording any audio, but just playing back multiple MIDI and a few audio tracks, can this operate with any old built in 16 bit card.

Unfortunately I do not have alot to work with here. The PC's have enough ram and cpu to play back a few audio tracks simultaneously, but as long as no audio will be recorded directly, will the built in, onboard card work for this (Reason works fine with the onboard cards)?

Cheers and thanks very much for your time.

In the US, you can purchase academically-priced versions of Cubase SE (full version, just cheaper) for about $70-75 per license (less if you buy a 10-pack, I think). I'm not sure if Steinberg has a similar deal with institutions in the UK. Might be worth looking into.

Oh, and it sounds like the on-board soundcards will probably work. They should have at least basic midi functionality. The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 would be another inexpensive option.

Thats great guys cheers.... Cubase SE sounds good. Is the layout the same as SX. Obviously its going to be a cut down version, but the overall look of SE is the same?

Also, do you know if SE (and LE) for that matter come with any plugins installed. I cant find any info on that. Im sure that wont be many, but hopefully a basic reverb, compression etc for teaching purposes.

Thanks alot for the help

Yes, very similar. The bundled reverb is dreadful - get one of the free VST plug ins. I've never used the bundled compresser.

Yea i found the most plugins that come even with my SL3 is garbage...I'm glad theres free stuff out ther for now.

Back