Cubase LE Vs. Reaper (Free Download): Opinions On Which Is Better??

Mike Freze

Hi!. I've been playing around with my Cubase LE for a few months now (got it as bundled software with my TASCAM Interface). It's limited but I can't afford the full versions yet.

I just downloaded the free Reaper program that everyone here talks so much about. I guess it's limited too but all features are fully funtional until you decide to upgrade for like $50.

Any opinions on which software program is better when you can't buy full versions at this time? Any advice which way to go? I am an audio guy for recording most of the time but I usually add some MIDI tracks in there too (with my external electric Yamaha PSR-290, my electroniv drum machine (Boss), and so on. I also have real amps, guitars, a bass, etc. So I try to use both.

Is Reaper just as compatible with all systems? Or is Cubase a better way to go when one can afford to get fuller versions?

Mike Freze

Just to clarify, Reaper is not free. You get a fully functional demo and if you decide to keep it, you buy the license. There is no upgrade. It's based on the honor system.

A lot of people at this site use Reaper and enjoy it. For the price, nothing else comes close. Cubase LE is limited for things like VSTi's and maybe plug-in slots. If you don't need them, or just need basic functions, then it works great. In other words, if it does everything you need, then it's not limited and it is free with your interface.

peace,

Hey, thanks Chili!! I'll play around with the Reaper I just downloaded, but since I already have Cubase LE (and don't use VST instruments or software plug-ins since I have so many hardware effects gadgets, an electric keyboard, drum machine, real amps and instruments), maybe I might stay with the Cubase for now.

Mike Freze

Reaper is no joke, I just find the learning curve and default behavior of the program not for me.

That said, neither is cubase (a joke). But in the case of these versions I have to say Reaper>Cubase LE.

I would be really surprised if you found any limitations with Cubase LE. That's not a knock on reaper though, but why go looking for something new when you havn't reached the limitations of what you have.

Only problem is, when he does hit that wall, it will be fairly expensive for him to get over it with a full version of cubase ;)

hey I am cubase all the way, but I cant stand to use any form or fashion of "limited" software, I want the whole thing or nothing at all.

That said, tetrafish is right, le may be perfect for you... right now.

Back