Cubase LE gets no feedback from mics

kkendog21

I'm running Cubase LE on my PC (runs windows xp). the software came with Alesis Multimix8 USB. I have a mic plugged into the mixer (which is going into my pc via usb cable) which picks up my guitar amps signal. The problem is, when I am in Cubase, it has never picked up any signal from the mixer. This has been going on for 5 year!!!!! Please help!

Select the Multimix driver in Cubase. Devices>Device Setup... This is all basic stuff that can be found in the startup guide.

You have been improperly setup for 5 years? Dood, let's get your gear working. :)

Download the appropriate driver from Alesis. Click 'Docs and Downloads', and install the drivers for your system (computer OS).

Open Cubase. Go to Devices>Device Setup...>VST Audio System>select your Alesis driver from the drop down menu. Then open VST Connections. Create input bus for whatever you are recording (mono or stereo). You likely will always use a mono input, unless you are recording an actual 'stereo' source, like a CD player, or the audio outputs of a keyboard.

Then, create a track. Project>Add Track>Audio>Mono. Then, in the Inspector window (far left in the main project screen), make sure to select the input bus for each track.

If you have any problems, feel free to come back here. :)

I couldnt download that driver, but instead I downloaded the driver for imultimix16 which should be close enough. I switched to that driver in cubase, but I cant find VST CONNECTIONS anywhere. I have VST inputs, outputs, performance, but not connections

Devices>VST Connection-should be where your input/output bus's are selected. I'm not sure that a 'close enough driver' will be appropriate. Is there not one listed for your particular unit? That does not seem to make sense.

mine is like the 8 channel link you gave me, except it has an ipod dock on the right. and the driver had download errors everytime. and I dont see VST connections anywhere still!

I also found the right driver, downloaded it, and switched it in cubase. i also hit f4, and tried fooling around with everything in there but still nothing!

Put up screenshots so we know what you are looking at.

(Resize the screenshots to fit nicely in you post)

Yeah, Chili has the right idea. There is probably something simple that you are missing, that a screenshot will show us. :)

Well there you go man, @ Device Setup, VST System Link, you need to select the driver for your interface (Multimix) from the drop-down menu (little down arrow for ASIO input). Also for the output device.

Keep in mind, you choose 1 (one) and only one ASIO driver within Cubase. It will not work with multiples. ASIO4all may have been what worked in the past, but that 'Realtek' thing you have selected now, is likely the most worthless thing you could ever have selected.....Change it to your Alesis driver (whatever it is called).

Then, you will have use of your VST Connections. These are only visible once you have the correct driver for your interface selected.

Now, you should be able to get things in order. :)

Come right back if you have more problems man. It is always a simple step to making it work.

Oh, and check that 'Release ASIO Driver in Background' box, if you wish to use your interface for playback of things like Youtube and WMP and such.

I repeat, all ASIO drivers should be your Alesis driver in all places. No Realtek, no Ashole4All. 'Only' the driver for your interface. Cubase will remember this setup for each new subsequent opening of new project, so no need to do it every time. You will still need to add input bus's and select them for each recording track or project, but you will soon understand why this is necessary.

Also, you will want to make you Alesis driver the Default Sound Device in Windows as well. Control Panel>Sounds (or something like that on XP). Make sure your interface is selected for everything. I am now assuming that you have your monitors (speakers) hooked up from the outputs of your interface/mixer. This is actually really important!!!!

We will get into latency (buffer) settings later.....

Keep us posted of your progress from here kkendog. :)

OK, give me your exact model number for your Alesis interface/mixer. You have not yet installed the correct driver, as it does not show up.

Those Multimix USB mixers are the biggest Piece o' Shit ever. They do not have their own ASIO driver and recommend you use ASIO4ALL.

Honestly, if you can sell that thing and buy something better (and cheaper) you will be doing yourself a favor.

If you want to use the multimix, you'll have to use ASIO4ALL. So download that, install it and select it in Device Setup and VST Connections.

Good luck.

Back