Cubase LE 4 - Mono Recording Issues

Slashdot

I'm going through a Presonus Firestudio Project with a mic plugged into #1 and a 1/4" guitar input to #2.

I used to be able to make two mono tracks and have vocal on one track and guitar on the second. Now I can't do that.

What happened? Dunno? Last night I dropped a 2GB chip into my 2006 iMac w/ Snow Leopard. So I went from 3gb to 4gb ram. That is when it started happening.

I started getting VST errors and stuff. So I uninstalled Cubase, ran the hotfix installer again and that problem went away.

It will record if I do a STEREO track but not two mono tracks. The mic track records but the guitar track does nothing. I am getting a signal both on the Firestudio display and in Cubase (from guitar) but nothing is nitting the track.

Any idea?

Thanks!

Z

Last edited:
1) Are ya sure you're creating a Mono track? Sounds like you are, always a sanity check, though.
2) Check your VST Connections. You might have to re-assign them.
3) Maybe re-install teh ASIO driver for the interface.

screenshots help if you can put them up.

Cheers,

I'll check the VST connections and then re-install the Firestudio drivers.

Gimme a minute to grab some screen shots! Brb!

Zach

Okay so now ... when I do two MONO tracks and do a recording it's recording ONLY the mic into both tracks.

You notice it's the same wave form but the amplitude of the second track (which should be guitar) is smaller than the first track (microphone).

ODD!

Attachments

• VST_Audio.jpg
    VST_Audio.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 30
  • VST_Connections.jpg
    VST_Connections.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Mon_Trx.jpg
    Mon_Trx.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 30
I re-installed the Firestudio drivers fresh from Presonus' website. No luck. Checked by VST Connections again and then added the MONO bus' which I didn't have before (but it still recorded MONO fine) ... now it won't even record either channel in MONO.

Attachments

• VST_Connect_2.jpg
    VST_Connect_2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 27
GarageBand is doing it now too ...

If I set up two mono tracks it will record BOTH inputs to BOTH mono tracks of the project.

I.e., I get mic input and guitar input on both mono tracks ... Laying on top of each other.

No way to edit the individual tracks ...

This is bummmming me out

I've got to start recording my band on Tuesday and need to be able to do basic tracking :(

Based on the screenshot of your two audio tracks, I see you have Audio 2 assigned to your left channel which is probably Channel one of your firestudio; the channel for your mic. Re-assign your Audio2 to Stereo In - Right. That should get you your two mono tracks; one mic and one guitar.

HTH.

That seems to have done the trick. Interesting.

Why do you think it defaulted to that setting?

Also, right now it's cake because I'm just laying down guitar and vocal tracks but what do I do when I start to add more instruments?

For instance, we might record a live track and I'll have the following inputs:

3 mics, 2 guitars, bass, mandolin and fiddle ... all plugged into the Fireproject.

So I need to create a track for each instrument and then make sure the input is correct?

Z

I think I've got it...

I can use and probably should use all MONO signals for mics, bass, guitar, mandolin and fiddles, right?

So ... instead of having tracks #1 and #2 be Stereo - Left and Stereo - Right, I could just delete all my stereo busses and make 10 MONO busses right?

Then each channel would be MONO in and STEREO out?

That would simplify my life a lot right?

I think I've got it...

I can use and probably should use all MONO signals for mics, bass, guitar, mandolin and fiddles, right?

So ... instead of having tracks #1 and #2 be Stereo - Left and Stereo - Right, I could just delete all my stereo busses and make 10 MONO busses right?

Then each channel would be MONO in and STEREO out?

That would simplify my life a lot right?

Well, you would think it would work that way, buuuut..... I have problems with Cubase and its VST Connections. This is one area where I think Steinberg falls down. I have a 10 channel interface, but I can't configure Cubase for 10 separte mono busses (I have an old version). Instead, I can get 4 stereo busses. I don't get it. But, fortunately, you are able to assign one side of each stereo channel to a track, so I cacn get 8 mono channels and there's really no loss. Just the same thing as I described in my previous post. Stereo In - Left to Track 01, Stereo In - Right to tTack 2, etc.

So, for all those inputs you will need for your live recording session, you will need that many inputs on your interface. I'm not familiar with the Presonus stuff so I don't know how many inputs your unit has. It needs as many as you want to record at one time. 8 mics??? 8 inputs. 4 mics, 2 DI?? 6 inputs. etc....

In your situation:
3 mics, 2 guitars, bass, mandolin and fiddle ... all plugged into the Fireproject.

... you would need 8 inputs. 7 mics, (3 mics, 2 guits, mandolin, and fiddle) and the bass can be DI'd (or mic'd if you desire).

Does this help??

Yes!

Just wated to say that i was having the same problem about only the mic picking up in both mono channels and it was driving me nuts when i wanted to record guitar and mic at the same time, but after reading this it worked perfectly!

Thank you! :)

Back