Cubase LE / 4 / 5 .. Help !

mcfontaine

Hiya,

I'm a noob here, I have a long drawn out story but hopefully someone will be able to help me.

My band normally record in our keyboard players home studio, using Cubase 4. That was fine till his Mac went bang. So we have had to do the rest of our recordings using logic. We need to get everything ready to send off to a friend in LA. This is where it gets tricky, he is using Cubase 5. I have already transfered the tracks from logic to Cubase LE (which i had laying around). I borrowed our keyboard players copy of Cubase 4 and loaded that on my machine to make sure the earlier recordings were ok too. So at the moment I have Cubase LE and Cubase 4 on my machine, but may not have access to the Cubase 4 dongle again.

I'm going to buy a copy of Cubase 5 so when the tracks come back from LA we can still work on them, but now i see that Cubase 5 won't open LE 1 projects.

So my question is ... (finally you say) ... If i buy Cubase 5, will the version of Cubase 4 that is already on my machine work with the new Cubase 5 dongle ? ... and is this the right way to go about it .... load the LE 1 projects into 4, save them in 4 and then open them again in 5.

Or have i got this totally wrong ? Someone please help, I do have the original stems but I really don't want to redo all the work I've already done.

Thanks.

mc fontaine

Last edited:
Cubase licenses are different on the dongle. So if you don't have a 4 license it will not work.

However, you will be able to open the project you did in 4 in cubase 5. You just won't be able to go backwards (no opening a cubase 5 project in cubase 4).

You can open any cubase project file in cubase 5 except nuendo files.

If Cubase 5 would just open the .cpr's you saved in Cubase 4 would that do it for you? :confused:

I think it will, but of course you'd have to have any plug ins you used in Cubase 4 present in Cubase 5.

I have Cubase LE, SX3 and 4 all running on my Mac. My version of 4 is SX3 with an upgrade.

Thanks guys, we are getting there :)

I'm not using any VST's until I have everything in Cubase 5, once they are all in 5 I won't be going back to the other versions.

So could you just confirm (if you know) that this would be right ....

The Cubase 4 projects will open in Cubase 5 , fine (as far as i know).

I need to open the LE projects (only 2 of them thankfully) first in Cubase 4, save them as Cubase 4 projects and then open them in Cubase 5.

Sorry if i've hurt peoples brains ... but like Leia said ... "your my last hope". :D

mc fontaine

I have a phone meeting set up with Steinberg in 1:40 min to ask them about some problems and I will ask them if Cubase 4 projects will open in Cubase 5 without any hiccups.

Another way to do all of this, providing you don't need VST effects or have any automation going on would be to take each audio track and make sure it starts at zero and save each track as an AIF or WAV. Then go into the new app and plop them in there starting at zero. I think you could go from any app to any app (like Cubase to ProTools) with that method.

I talked to Jeff at Steinberg customer service and he said:

If you have Cubase 5 it will open .cpr's that were saved in Cubase LE and Cubase 4. Issues only come up if you had plug ins that aren't present, and that's to be expected.

If you have Cubase 4 and the dongle to go with it and you sold both of them and bought Cubase 5 which comes with a new dongle, you will still be able to open and use the version of Cubase 4 that is on your computer (I was surprised at that).

But he didn't know why you'd want to do that - most people would just upgrade their version of Cubase 4 to 5, which is $200 and probably cheaper than going the other route.

Can't they find a different name than "dongle"? :(

I talked to Jeff at Steinberg customer service and he said:

If you have Cubase 5 it will open .cpr's that were saved in Cubase LE and Cubase 4. Issues only come up if you had plug ins that aren't present, and that's to be expected.

If you have Cubase 4 and the dongle to go with it and you sold both of them and bought Cubase 5 which comes with a new dongle, you will still be able to open and use the version of Cubase 4 that is on your computer (I was surprised at that).

But he didn't know why you'd want to do that - most people would just upgrade their version of Cubase 4 to 5, which is $200 and probably cheaper than going the other route.

Can't they find a different name than "dongle"? :(

dintymoore, I don't know what to say, thank you so much, I think you managed to answer everything in one go there.

The copy of Cubase 4 is our keyboard players and we only loaded it on mine to make sure everything was ok with the tracks after his Mac died (now they all thank me for insisting on backing stuff up) so I need to buy a full version for myself thats the only reason for buying a new version.

Got to say this site is brilliant, everyone is so helpful, thanks everyone.

mc fontaine

No problem. :)

Also: just because the folks at Steinberg said that... it wouldn't necessarily convince me that it's true.

Steinberg has a long history of hiring people for customer service who barely know the program. Most of the people there were pooping thier diapers when I started on Cubase.

Much of what they've told me over the years is flat out untrue.

I'm not trying to throw a monkey wrench in your plan, I'm just giving you the heads up that while what they told me probably is true, I wouldn't consider it true until I saw it with my own eyes.

Back