Cubase Instrument definitions

DuttyBoe

Does anyone know how to set up cubase VST 3.6 to use the instrument definitions. Im an ex cakewalk user and understand a little about sequencing software but cant fully understand how to export audio using cubase VST. Also is there a way to clone track of audio and midi.

Also can someone explain the MODULE dropdown menu that only has one selection that says SETUP.

Last but not least under the AUDIO tab there is SYSTEM; what is max disk block buffer and memory per channel that can be used; just below there is File catch system that has choice of tape recorded/audio sequencer or the combination of both;this is confusing also I try reading the help but this confused me even more .
I have my PC set to 96 channels
I have a P3 550 / 128 ram.

Assistance is much appreciated...

Thanks
G.P.

Hey Duttyboe,

Geez, where should we start? Anyway, from the questions you are asking I gather that Cubase is really giving you a hard time. Don't feel bad, this is a difficult program to learn. But from reading your questions, it sure sounds like you should go through the users' manual (it's online and can be printed out - it's long, but worth it) from the very beginning and work your way through, learning one or two things at a time. It's really tough getting up to speed with this program by just asking questions on a forum.

I can tell you this - to export audio from Cubase, use the "export audio" command under the "file" menu. You'll need to set your left and right markers at the beginning and end of the track so you export the whole thing.

Another thing, the 96 channels you have your PC set to sounds like it's too much. Mine is set to only 8 channels be default, and I have a 400mz machine with 128 megs ram and a 7200 rpm hard drive. You might want to double check that.

I wish I could help you more, but you'll need to dig into that manual. Believe me, though, you'll have fun with it like I did. Good luck and happy music making.

If you have the chance, check out some of the stuff I've been doing with Band in the Box and Cubase at http://leemuller.iuma.com .

Thanks

Cha Cha Indigo

Hi Lee, I took the time to down-load
your song and have to say I'm very impressed.
You obviously have been doing this for a long
time and definitely know your stuff.
I'm a pro player myself having worked in blues,
R+B and Country out-fits over the last 20 years
or so...I am new to recording and I wonder if you
would care to go into a little more detail about
how you use Band In A Box and Cubase together
to get such nice results.
Your sound is very easy to digest,and reminds
me of Earl Klugh in some ways.
I love the sound of the guitar,and the fact that
nothing sounds artificial or machine induced.
Very nice.Any suggestions you would care to offer
would certainly be appreciated.

Hi Sonic 931,

Thanks for the compliments, it was really good fun recording those tunes and posting them on IUMA. Anyway, in answer to your questions, I usually lay down a rythmn track with Band in the Box. In other words, select a style I like, then write in the chords and set up an arrangement. Once that is done, I transform the BIAB file into a midi file (you can do this right in Band in the Box), then import that midi file into Cubase.

Once in Cubase, I'm able to edit what each instrument is doing in the "key edit" mode, which is basically a graphic picture of the notes and durations each instrument is playing. I usually add some strings by "drawing them" into the key edit screen. You can actually add any intruments you want, depending on your sound module. The last step would be to record my guitar, a Takamine Hirade Concert, and add some effects to it. Now that everything is recorded, I mix all the instruments, including my guitar, into one stereo track, then export that track ("export audio") and normalize it with Cool Edit.

The song that you listened to, Cha Cha Indigo, was actually a BIAB demo song, so there wasn't a lot I had to do with it other than record my guitar, smooth out the piano, and change a few instruments. If you listen to Europa though, you'll hear the strings I "drew in" with Cubase.

If you like, drop me an email through IUMA (right from my site), and I'll be glad to answer any other questions you might have about the equipment I use, or whatever.

Aloha,

Lee

Back