cubase help, copying midi to another project without effecting bpm

hello need help please on how to copy over midi from one project to another with a different bpm, but keeping that midi's bpm intact with the 1st project; to not adjust to the bpm on the second? on cubase6
thanks

Should be a matter of setting the second project's tempo to match the original in the transport panel. If the tempo is variable I believe there is a way to export tempo maps.

I think you need to explain - you want to take a MIDI file, or just copy a track from say 120bpm in one project, and drop it into another track that is set to say, 140bpm (which is just a copy and paste) BUT - have the track play at the original tempo, while the other speed past faster????

This isn't going to work because the MIDI sequence is based on the time the events happen, mapped to bars and beats - so tempo isn't important to Cubase, because an import or copy and paste uses the single time reference. I've never discovered a way to have multiple time references in a composition. If this is really what you need to do, then I'd simply play the track in the first sequence, and bring it back in as an audio file - even easier if your sound synthesis is inside the machine - just a simple audio mix down. This audio file could then be brought into the new project and you can time stretch or shrink the audio file.

I suspect I've lost the plot a bit!

Hey Rob,

You are right, it will be out of sync with any other events in a project that is already populated. If it's a matter of getting it to a separate blank project, simply inserting the file and changing tempo would do the trick. Otherwise, yes I would render the audio as you say.

Why not record it to analog, then put it in your new project? Changes everything.

thanks for the replys and sorry if wasnt too clear, but i think u understood right rob. What happened exactly is i created a song that has lots of midi but i gave no mind to the project bpm so the project stayed at the stock 120. i just created the song all by ear in tempo to a drum loop that i now know is 90bpm which i need to get this project in. But dont want to mix everything down to audio want to line up all midi to 90 bpm grid on a new project... what to do?
thanks

Last edited:
Well I don't know an easy way around this but you do have some options:

-Re record MIDI in a 90BPM project
-Do small timing adjustments manually as MIDI using the drum track as reference
-Render to audio and time stretch using transients (may be easier)
-With Cubase 6 there are many other options I can recall like an Audiowarp alignment of MIDI and audio??

Back