Cubase/Firepod quick question..

sirslurpee

What does THIS button do?
I'm still pretty thick-headed when it comes to the hardware and software I'm using.. so sorry if this is a dumb question, but I was wondering if the pre-amps in channel 1/2 are different from the pres in 3-8 on the firepod? Also, if they are how does that effect things I am recording? Should I stick to 1/2 for vocals only? Or are they okay to use for OH, guitar, etc? And what about if I am using VST 'amps' (like helian 2nd bass)- should I use 1/2 for that or stick to 3-8?

Hi there.

I`m also a happy owner of the Firepod, I`m using Cubase SX as my platform.

As far as I know the 1 and 2 channel of the Firepod are a bit different.

They have a bit more gain I think. some thing like 20db more.
Theire also Instrument inputs, in other words D.I. Works great on the Basses I`ve tried it on.

Other than that I dont think they behave much different to the software, no in my case.

Last I usually use 1 or 2 on vox, never tried the other channels, never needed to.

Good luck :)

Aren't 1 and 2 differnet to 3 to 8 in so far as the TRS inputs in 1 and 2 are high impedance for DI'ing guitars?

All the pre's in the Firepod are the same quality wise the only difference is that 1-2 can be used for an instrument

Carter said:
All the pre's in the Firepod are the same quality wise the only difference is that 1-2 can be used for an instrument

If you run a guitar through a modeller, like a pod, can you take the pods output and put it through 3-8?

Carter said:

I`m quite certain channel 1 and 2 has more gain than the rest. as mentioned 20db`s more.

TelePaul said:
Even with a mic?

I`ve jsut read it somewhere, pluss it says its higher on the front of the firepod. on the 1- and 2 ch.

not tested if its any louder with mic or line :)

Nakatira said:
I`ve jsut read it somewhere, pluss it says its higher on the front of the firepod. on the 1- and 2 ch.

Hmm trying to work this out in my head...guitars are high impedance...shouldn't they require LESS power to achieve a workable sound?

Nakatira said:
I`m quite certain channel 1 and 2 has more gain than the rest. as mentioned 20db`s more.

Here are the spec's for the unit, I dont see any difference! :confused:

FIREPOD HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS

Preamp Bandwidth 10Hz to 50kHz
Preamp Input Impedance 1.3k Ohms
Instrument Input Impedance 1M Ohms
Preamp THD <0.005%
Preamp EIN -125dB
Preamp Gain 54dB
Preamp Send Output Impedance 51 Ohms
Preamp Return Input Impedance 10K Ohms
Line Trim +/-20dB
Line Input Impedance 10k Ohms
TRS Output Impedance 51Ohms
TRS Main Outputs Impedance 51 Ohms
TRS Cue Outputs Impedance 51 Ohms
Headphone Output 150mW/Ch 20Hz-20kHz
Phantom Power 48V +/- 2V
Power Supply Ext line Transformer, Internal Switching
Analog to Digital Converters (ADC) 24-Bit / (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96kHz)
ADC Dynamic Range 107db
DAC 24-bit / up to 96kHz
DAC Dynamic Range 110db
IEEE1394 Speed 400mbps
Simultaneous record/playback channels and sample rate Single Unit (10 in, 10out @ 24/96K)
Two Firepod's (up to 16 in, 16 out @ 24-bit/ 44.1k or 48K)
Three Firepod's (up to 24 in, 24 out @ 24 bit/44.1k or 48k)

Nakatira said:

You can go and look at the link I provided and I had a Firepod before my Firestudio and nowhere on that unit it says that channel 1-2 is higher, it just says 1-2 mic-instrument.....3-8 mic-line.... The spec's prove my notion, Sorry :rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Carter said:
You can go and look at the link I provided and I had a Firepod before my Firestudio and nowhere on that unit it says that channel 1-2 is higher, it just says 1-2 mic-instrument.....3-8 mic-line.... The spec's prove my notion, Sorry :rolleyes: ;) :p :D

Ok Mister, your probbably right.

I`ve only got a unit in front of me and it says +10 on the 3-8 channels, and it say +30 on the 1-2 channels.

So this is bollocks then right??? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nakatira said:
Ok Mister, your probbably right.

I`ve only got a unit in front of me and it says +10 on the 3-8 channels, and it say +30 on the 1-2 channels.

So this is bollocks then right??? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ahhh what the hell do I know? :D I could very well be incorrect with my statement :eek: :D

just outta curiousity... who neg repped me for my post??? unsigned with +++ ??? what's that mean??? what did i do to you??? where was the inaccuracy??? i really dont care too much about the whole rep thing but i do tend to wonder what i did to get negged... you dont even have the balls to sign it...

I copied this information from the manual.

INSTRUMENT INPUTS (Channels 1 and 2): The ¼” TS connector on channels 1 and 2 are for use with an instrument (guitar, bass, and etc.). When an instrument is plugged into the instrument input, the microphone preamplifier is bypassed and the FirePod becomes an active instrument preamplifier.

Input Gain/Trim Control. This knob provides the following gain structure for each channel:

Microphone Input XLR: 45dB of variable gain (+14 dB to +55dB)
Instrument HiZ Input TS ¼” (channels 1 and 2 only): 45 dB variable gain (+8dB to +50dB)
Line Input ¼” TRS/TS Channels 3 thru 8: -10dB to +10dB trim adjustment​

Info from FirePod Manual about Chan 1 & 2 use

sirslurpee said:
wondering if the pre-amps in channel 1/2 are different from the pres in 3-8 on the firepod?

FirePod Manual NOTE: active instruments have an internal preamp or a line level output. Active instruments should be plugged into a line input rather than an instrument input. In other words, DON'T plug an active instrument into the combo jacks of channels 1 or 2".

To see the FirePod manual on line here is the link.
http://www.presonus.com/pdf/fpmanual.pdf

Back