Cubase files interchangeable from Mac and PC?

maestrotee

If I were to run Cubase 5 on both a Mac and a PC, could I transfer files from one machine to the other. Each one would be able to capture specific instruments. I have an analog to digital interface for the Mac (firewire Presonus Inspire) and a multitude of VST's for the PC. I don't have a firewire port on the PC and very few VST's for the Mac. Anybody tried this? Is it impossible to do?

Another question ... and maybe I'll open this up in another thread ... but what limitations am I gonna hate myself for being stuck with if I buy the Cubase Essentials instead of Studio. VST's, effects? Anything specific? I can't spring the 500+ for the full package, and might be hard pressed to part with the 300 if I can use Essentials (150) and it lets me do some decent recordings with similar editing tools as the real deal. Your thoughts?

I am a Mac only user, so I don't know about your PC to Mac question.

As far as if the basic Cubase will be good enough, here's a comparison: http://www.steinbergusers.com/images/C5_ComparisonChart.pdf

There's a huge difference between how people work. I don't use many VST's and use external MIDI modules, so my requirements are lower than most people. I thought that even Cubase LE was a pretty powerful version. I use Logical Edit a fair amount. Cubse LE doesn't have it and I didn't see it mentioned in the chart above, it could be that they all have it. But I'm probably 1 in a 100 people that even uses it.

Cubase PC, cubase mac both write .cpr files so yes they are interchangeable but....

You can NOT go backwards. For example:

John records something in cubase LE 4. Sara would like to throw some vocals on for John, only she has Cubase 5. Sara will be able to open the LE file, but will have to save the .cpr project file as a different file.

Oh crap John needs to fix something, sorry there is no way to open that Cubase 5 file in LE 4. Any .cpr file that was written on a bigger version of cubase can not be opened in a lesser copy no matter what the version number (even if Sara had Cubase 4 the situation would still stand).

Ultimatly what Sara would probably do is record her vocals and bounce them out as .wav files so John could import them back into his LE file.

Now say they both have LE 4, they can swap files. But any plugins John has that Sara does not have become bypassed on Saras computer and a "missing plugins" window will show up when you open the .cpr file.

The one thing pro tools does right is this right here IMO (you can open HD files in LE or m powered and vise versa).

Going through that chart (essential is literally the only version I have never used).

Groove agent isn't worth the extra cash (IMO and a small thing...)

The stock plugins in the FULL version IMO totally worth it. Studio? Meh, I doubt it's that much better over essential. I see the difference is like 3 or 4 plugs.

I don't know what essentail comes with for VST instruments, but I almost never use stock stienberg VST instruments. I think vaccum is medocre (I hate the gui), Halion is buggy and groove agent is only good (again just IMO) for having a better click track. I have seen (and used) the extra vst instruments in cubase 5 and actually I think they are quite good.

If your using any outboard gear then the full version is DEFINITELY worth it because you can setup those busses easily. Essential, studio, LE only have options for routing inputs and outputs.

The lack of sidechain is somewhat of a drag in essential, but if you have never used it you won't miss it. It's honestly not something I find myself using in the productions I'm doing that much. That feature just depends on your need.

Extended mixer view: Yeah IMO not needed.

Channel batch export: Yeah really nice feature, speeds up workflow. Necessary? I got along with out it fine for quite a few years.

Time warp: If your doing anything with loops, your going to want this. I actually use it a lot.

In place editing (midi)/ score editor: I never use either. Some people would find both of these important. I do not.

Offline process history: Meh, IMO not that important that you only have a single undo. Most of the time if I'm doing that it's one thing. But I dunno, there may have been times where I have used the unlimited undo and not known it.

No 64 bit version for vista? I'm on mac so...

Thanks for the replies! I actually found that chart right after I posted this question. You helped me understand what I was reading on it, tho. Much to consider. The time warp tool sounds pretty significant for me since I want to do looped stuff as well as live instrumentation. Could you explain what that tool is and how it is useful?

Absolutely man. :D

You know what? I'll show you (cause that's even better):

Greg is the man ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipf8IwGpDSs

The reason that's important is because it's also used to find the tempo of loops so you can conform them to your project tempo. I'm fairly certain (I never work with them) that cubase can work with REX files, but I can't say for certain.

I use it on drummers that didn't record to a click.

Back