Cubase Editing Question

whirlwindRA

Hello, I was recently in a studio where the guy was using Cubase. I recently purchased it to replace my old software, and am starting to get the hang of it. I read most of the pdf manual, but there's one thing I still can't figure out. The guy I was watching would be able to somehow stretch stuff like drum parts so it would be in time. Like he would click somewhere in the project view, maybe to split the clip, and then he was able to drag a small part of it, and it looked like the point where it connected was stretching. Basically, I want to know how to make slight adjustments to the timing of things without having to make a billion splits in the tracks. Thanks in advance!

If your in the project window just use scissors to split and them move the part.and/or copy and paste to creat another part
Make sure to check if you want quantise or not
like the guys have said you can do this more accuratley with hit points in the edit window

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the time stretch tool and not free warp in the edit window.

In cubase each number above the qwerty keys (1...9,0) corresponds to a tool. 1 = select tool, 3 = split tool, etc. If you press "1" two times it will cause your cursor to have a little clock attached to it and that is the time stretch tool:

2.jpg

You can now grab the end of events with it and pull (warp) them to where ever you need them warped.

You could alternatively just click on the select tool on the toolbar for more than a couple of seconds and a pop down menu will appear allowing you to select the time stretch tool as in the image above.

If you have Cubase 6 there are other ways to accomplish drum editing/warping but I used the warp tool in conjunction with the split tool for years and it got the job done fine for small inconsistencies. Just be aware that when you warp drum tracks you have to warp them all together to preserve the phase relationship. It is not advisable to, for instance, warp only the snare track if for example the snare is late. It will bugger the phase relationship and you will not get good results.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Back