Cubase drop Outs

Sirflex10

What is the solution to preventing a drop out when adding effects? It seems like the more efects I add to a song, the more choppy and distorted the song sounds? Should I upgrade the computer or is it possible to record into an external HD? Is it possible to run cubase on a multitrack hardware recorder? Heeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!!

Are you using ASIO drivers? You might want to increase latency, this should solve the problem, unless your CPU is being pegged. In general I've noticed that I start having issues when CPU utilization goes above 60-70%.

One way you can help with the CPU utilization is to use lower sampling rates. 96kHz will eat CPU cycles like there is no tomorrow, and in most cases it doesn't really sound that much better than 48kHz (here comes the sampling rate war... ducking).

Another thing you want to consider is keeping the number effects in check, for example if you have several tracks needing the same effect, bus them and apply the effect to the bus instead of the individual tracks. Things like reverbs and delays should be used on the sends rather than inserts anyway, and if you're running more than 2-3 reverbs, then you need help :D (yet another war...)

If you're sure about the effects being used, and you know you're not going to change the settings, you might want to bounce those effected tracks to another track. This way the effect(s) will become part of the audio and not use any processing cycles.

You might also look into investing in a DSP card like the PowerCore or UAD-1.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

What computer are you using??? You can increase the number of audio buffers on the same page as you alter the latency. What is your sound card?? Give us a little more info and we can try and pinpoint the problem for you.

Cheers

Keith

Back