Cubase cpr. to mp3...

Well, I almost said, "You don't", but figured I should double check first. So, indeed the full version of Cubase 5 does encode MP3's. None of the older versions had that capability, except as an option no longer available. So, cool, if you have Cubase 5, you probably can just mixdown to an MP3. The procedure should be in the manual.

Thanks for the reply. The instructions in the manual were minimal at best, and didn't give a step by step process on how to do so. As someone just getting back into this, any clarification/help would be appreciated. Or is there another format that I should save it in to to allow playback on other devices/computers?

Select export on the file menu then select audio mixdown.

In the audio mixdown select "MPEG 1 Layer 3 File"

Select your file name, path etc. then hit the export button.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 56
Oh yeah, don't forget to set the left and right locators first.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 65
Side question: I'm familiar with the procedure described above and it works flawlessly for me in Cubase SX3. For some reason it never has worked for me in Cubase 4. Every time I get an error message. And I'm setting it up correctly with the proper outputs and L & R locators set properly. I'm doing it the same as it works in SX3 but I've never been able to get Cubase 4 to save an mp3.

The fact that it does work in SX3 suggests that it is not a user error, and I have been able to export AIF's and WAV's in Cubase 4, just not mp3's... :confused:

Anybody have any ideas?

Double-check those left/right indicators. It's VERY easy to get them backward and that always causes that error message....

Thanks Tim, I checked that and it doesn't seem to be the culprit... I could do this 50 times in a row on SX3 and have yet to get it to work on Cubase 4. I've tried various Sample Rate and Bit Depth settings. Here's what I get:

NOMP3.jpg

It should say "Expected Error" because it happens every time. :mad:

I should phone Steinberg tomorrow but if anybody has any ideas or is going through this I appreciate any comments. :)

I just noticed that SX3 calls the exported mp3 an "MPEG Layer 3 File" and Cubase 4 calls it a "MPEG 1 Layer 3 File". What the difference is and why they can't call it an mp3 is something only my dog would know, but he's sleeping.

JT.jpg

Thanks Tim, I checked that and it doesn't seem to be the culprit... I could do this 50 times in a row on SX3 and have yet to get it to work on Cubase 4. I've tried various Sample Rate and Bit Depth settings. Here's what I get:

NOMP3.jpg

It should say "Expected Error" because it happens every time. :mad:

I should phone Steinberg tomorrow but if anybody has any ideas or is going through this I appreciate any comments. :)

Does it make a difference if your project is 24 bit and you're going to a 16 bit MP3??

Edit: Oops, nevermind. I just saw where you mentioned that already.

Thanks Chili, I just went and double checked and none of the four Bit Depths would save an mp3 in Cubase 4.

Thanks legionserial. I'm using Cubase 4, and it seems like I have resolved the problem. I downloaded an update (Cubase 4.5.2) and I can now save mp3's. :)

I get the feeling that if I had reinstalled my original Cubase 4 it would have worked and that my files were corrupt.

Resolving the issue was a hassle as Steinberg no longer answers the phone number they set up for customer service, but I did get email support and it works now.

Back