Cubase Artist 6 - Tons of Pops, Clicks & Stops - Help, Please!

hnia6

I have the following:

W7 64X
HP Pavilion p6130y with an AMD Phenom X4 9750 / 2.4 GHz processor
M-Audio FTP; latest driver confirmed
Cubase Artist 6; updated to 6.0.5
8gb DDR2 RAM

I belive my Cubase VST connections/settings are proper. It's pointing to the M-Audio inteface.

When I open a few insterment tracks, I'm getting pops and clicks all over the place whether I record or not. Sometimes, the sound just suddenly goes out for a moment and comes back. Just playing notes causes it. I'm viewing my processor and ram performance while doing it and it does not appear that I'm even coming close to maxing out at all. I disabled my antivirus and other processes. Still, no improvement!

My M-Audio latency setting is at (a high) 512 and it defaults to record at 48. It won't go to 44.1.

I don't have a clue as to what's causing it or what I need to do to resolve it. I'd really appreciate any guidance on how to overcome this issue.

Thanks!

Wish I had an easy answer for you. I am about to have some quality time with my eyelids. Maybe have some ideas for you in the morn. Think of......... :)

The thing that irritates me is that I've done most of the optimization recommendations for W7. I'm running nothing else that I am aware of and my processor does not appear to max out when looking on the Windows performance tool... whatever you call it. Now, if you look on the left side of my transporter, you'll see some red popping in and out. Isn't that also a processor meter? I posted over on M-Audio and someone there told me to do the optimization.... despite having said that was completed....

It is probably some service running in the background interrupting your audio. I'll have a look tonight at what services are running on my PC, and print them out for you. Then you can cross check and disable the unnecessary ones. I remember on my last PC, that superfetch was one of them that kept pegging my vst meter every 15 seconds or so. My new PC has a clean install of W7-64 OEM, so no bloatware and crap. Hopefully that will help you get things running smooth.

Last edited:
Ok, here are all the services on my PC. Like I said, I have a fresh OS install and use this computer only for recording. Though I do have internet connected for some situations. You may have other software that you use in your setup that may be different from mine. You can disable, or set services to manual startup type, to match mine. If something causes something to not work, then just re-enable appropriate services until it works again.

I know this seems a bit arduous, but I am sure not getting your stuff to work efficiently is worse. Try disabling some of the stuff that is disabled on my system, and see if it makes an improvement.

Type services.msc in the START menu Search box, to get to this view. 'Extended' view will give an explanation of what each service does.

Further and more detailed advice on this stuff can be found here.

Attachments

• Sercices pg.1.jpg
    Sercices pg.1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Services pg.2.jpg
    Services pg.2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 38
  • Services pg.3.jpg
    Services pg.3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Services pg.4.jpg
    Services pg.4.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 38
I had the same problem in Cubase 6.5 on my PC with dual core CPU and 4gb Ram. The project has 16 audio tracks, each with up to 7 inserts. It crackled, popped and farted like a donkey with emphysema. I went into the M-Audio control panel and reset the buffer size from 256 to 512 and it runs fine now. You have to reset the buffer size before you open Cubase or it won't let you do it.

My buffer was already at 512. I think my PC has enough power. When I get the static, I go to VST connections and I'll unselect my interface (M-Audio FTP), then reslect it and the static goes away for a while. If I change anything in VST connections, I'll get the same result.

Any ideas?

Something is weird here. Have you selected your interface as the default audio device in windows? I reaching here, but seems there is something silly messing with your connection. Check the 'Release Driver' box under Devices>Device Setup.>VST Audio System. I'm about out of suggestions at this point. You should not be having issues......This really sucks.

It's the default audio device for recording, but my stereo is the default audio device for playback. I keep the stereo off when using cubase so that the playback will happen on the m audio. Hmmmm. I have it this way so I can listen to mp3's on my stereo when not using cubase. I also like to try out my exports on the stereo to see how they sound. I'm wonering if you hit something here; as in, maybe the m audio should be the default for both????

Jimmy; If I check the "Release Device" box, will I have to manually select the interface every time I re-open CB6?

Last edited:
Yep. You should make the M-Audio your default sound device for everything. Just run the outs of it to the stereo. Release just allows other sources to use the driver. No reselection needed.

Back